Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ViMM writes all information to an external .nfo file.

If you've set your configuration right on XBMC and Plex, you should be able to just select the movie from your movie library without having to do any extra digging around.

I'm hoping to be able to add subtitle downloads in the future, but I can't promise anything. Wink
now when u say to set my plex and xbmc configuration right, what do u mean? do i have to edit any of the external .nfo files? or do i have to have the plex or xbmc programs read something else in order to see all the info from the movies?

thanks man awesome program! wish i new how to code to wright my own programs!!
(2013-07-22, 01:55)j2048b Wrote: [ -> ]now when u say to set my plex and xbmc configuration right, what do u mean? do i have to edit any of the external .nfo files? or do i have to have the plex or xbmc programs read something else in order to see all the info from the movies?

You don't really need to worry about it. XBMC will automatically read your NFO file and use the local information. When you set content for the source in XBMC, just let it know that movies are in separate folders. Assuming you have ViMM name folders like the movie, in XBMC choose "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title".
Thanks glorious1! Will make sure it is set to the folders options! As im in xbmc now and now see doubles of all my movies and wondered y! Explains it to me now!
(2013-07-22, 02:46)j2048b Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks glorious1! Will make sure it is set to the folders options! As im in xbmc now and now see doubles of all my movies and wondered y! Explains it to me now!

Hard to know why you're seeing duplicates. Easiest fix would be deleting all your movie sources in XBMC and resetting them.
Or clean up your videos through the videos settings.
yeah the media manager has actually caused a few issues:

some movies were named completey different movies as what they actually where:

up! was named a completely different movie, and quite a few more, ive had to comb thru my movie folders and actually watch a lot of them and change stuff,

for some reason xbmc reads 1 of my movie sources and shows info such as the cover of the movie,

but for some reason my other movie source just shows the file folders and i have to click into each folder to see any info?

also they each show up in their own folders, so i have to click into each folder in order to select that movie to play,

i just had to update all metadata as the hangover showed up for over 55 movies... not sure what happened?

im use to just seing a file, and pressing play as opposed to opening a million folders in order to play a title...
a nice option would to allow automatic file and folder renaming/moving per section, reason being apps like sickbeard monitor those tv directories, so i don't want stuff moved. but movies i would like done this way.

another option would be to ignore errors, for instance, i have about 1200 movies separated on 4 4tb drives, i'm currently scanning a drive at a time, but i'll select fetch for all and walk away, then i come back hours later and see it hasn't gone very far because of some error, like timed out with rotten tomatoes or trakt or something, and have to hit ok. only makes time take so much longer because you have to baby sit it
yup, would love to ignore errors or option to not seek thru traktv
If you leave the episode file naming pattern field empty, episode files should not be moved while movie files still will.

If you have either growl or Mac OS X 10.8 with notification center installed, I believe it should use one of those methods to show the error notifications instead.
I can't just ignore errors like timeout that easily, but i'll keep on the lookout to see if i can do something about it.
(2013-07-22, 19:55)j2048b Wrote: [ -> ]but for some reason my other movie source just shows the file folders and i have to click into each folder to see any info?
also they each show up in their own folders, so i have to click into each folder in order to select that movie to play,
. . .
im use to just seing a file, and pressing play as opposed to opening a million folders in order to play a title...

I think this has more to do with how to use XBMC than with how to use ViMM. You certainly shouldn't need to click into each movie's folder to see it.
First, how are you looking at your movies in XBMC using "Movies" or "Files" from the home menu? "Files" will show you the folder structure as you seem to be seeing. "Movies" should show the movies without clicking into folders. As noted earlier, you should set content in XBMC correctly with the movies in separate folders setting.
(2013-07-22, 22:56)MariusTh86 Wrote: [ -> ]If you leave the episode file naming pattern field empty, episode files should not be moved while movie files still will.

If you have either growl or Mac OS X 10.8 with notification center installed, I believe it should use one of those methods to show the error notifications instead.
I can't just ignore errors like timeout that easily, but i'll keep on the lookout to see if i can do something about it.

cool thanks that will work

i do get the errors in notification center, but it's still waiting for me to hit OK for it to continue
(2013-07-23, 02:32)Glorious1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-22, 19:55)j2048b Wrote: [ -> ]but for some reason my other movie source just shows the file folders and i have to click into each folder to see any info?
. . .

I think this has more to do with how to use XBMC than with how to use ViMM. You certainly shouldn't need to click into each movie's folder to see it.
First, how are you looking at your movies in XBMC using "Movies" or "Files" from the home menu? "Files" will show you the folder structure as you seem to be seeing. "Movies" should show the movies without clicking into folders. As noted earlier, you should set content in XBMC correctly with the movies in separate folders setting.

I thought i had set that from within the settings of xbmc, where exactly is that setting? I thought it was in apearance correct? If so i set that...

Ok so u only access the movie files from the movies section not video>files then? If so, yes i was looking at that location! Ill try to use just the movies section after i fix everything the media manager seemed to mess up yesterday,

Thanks man! Appreciate the support
Good morning MariusTh86,

After trying several movies I can confirm ViMM is getting wrong fetching results for a percentage of the movies I test in the movie folder. I am getting the wrong titles, mixed with metada build up from different movies and databses for the same title. Check the following example:

– Right movie title: from TMDB at New Shadow Warriors (2003)
The results are:
(wrong) Movie title, original title, poster & backdrop: from TMDB at Shadow Warriors (1997)
(wrong) With actors, people's rating, studios, countries and languages: from a TV series on IMDB called Shadow Warriors (1980-)
– With outline, plot or overview: empty, even though they are present on both movies, the found one and the right one on TMDB, but not at IMDB, which makes me think ViMM tried to retrieved it from IMDB's wrong TV series title (same as above) and of course couldn't find any.

Additional observations:
1) No .nfo was written to folder
2) Since ViMM was configured to "keep media folders organised" and "rename & move" ( I deactivated these options after realising the mess it does when the wrong metada is fetched), the former movie titles got overwritten by the newly found and the poster and backdrop I had within the folder got overwritten by the new ones as well, from the wrong movie. I am testing ViMM, as I have said several times, with a folder containing just 10 movies at a time, so renaming the files and folders, and putting back the right posters and backdrops (supposing that I do have copies somewhere else) it isn't much of a problem. Now, if I had asked ViMM to fetch metadata for an entire hard drive full of movies instead... make your conclusions. Since there is currently no way to undo the changes done by ViMM on specific movies for which it failed to retrieve the right metada, or a way to review all changes before ViMM proceeds to write the files, I guess it is wise to have a camomile tea at the desk Wink
3) For all these movies mishandled by ViMM, I believe I will have to create a local .nfo containing the url of the right movie. Will ViMM check the .nfo for an url pointing to the right movie before starting the first metadata fetching? I presume so.
4) Why ViMM didn't find the right movie in this case?

Best wishes,

CF
There is no such thing as 100% accuracy when doing a mass-fetch, at best I can choose to skip an item when there's more then a certain number of results, leaving you to manually fetch information for those items, but the 'first=right-choice' ratio is a little higher than the 'only-one-result', that is to say, a lot of movies that most likely would have been guessed correctly might then end up not being automatically fetched information for at all.

Personally, I always try to fetch manually, since I can choose the correct result, it does have a 100% accuracy, and i can look for better images right away if the defaults don't suit me.
But then, I'm not working with 1000+ movies at a time...

1) if the information is showing in the main display upon selection, the .nfo is in there somewhere, otherwise maybe ViMM didn't have write permission to that folder?
2) I do have a little bit of hope on enhancing this in the future by giving a list of movies that had more then 1 result, with menu's to pick the right result from, but it wouldn't be all that different as to what i mentioned above.
Disabling automatic ordering and doing a 'rename' > 'all' after you're done sorting things out is probably the easiest way to get around this for now, you can also leave the movie file pattern field empty so as to at least not rename the movie file.
3) if it's an empty file with nothing but a straight link to the correct movie on IMDb, it should work, however it may be easier to select the item in ViMM, choose the 'Manual Search' button from the toolbar, enter the right title or IMDb ID in the search field, and once you've found the right title, press 'OK' and choose to replace existing images if needed.
4) When ViMM searches for a movie, it sends a search request to TMDb, which returns to ViMM a list of results ordered by relevance, which means that the first item in the list is what TMDb thinks is the most likely correct title. During a mass-search, ViMM ignores all the other titles and chooses the first result to fetch information.
TMDb has a relatively high chance of getting the correct result if the folder name includes both the title and year, the TVDB has a bit lower rate of success, so in it's case I do try not to fetch information if there's more then one result, since an auto-rename on a tv show with many episode files is even more disastrous than with a movie.

But any automated process is prone to mistakes when trying to match a real person's question to a computed correct answer, I can't do much to improve this, it's the way computing works. ^^;

With kind regards,
Vidal van Bergen.