Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually, i'm programming soley in REALstudio's BASIC, which produces Apps that are about as native to native Mac Apps as it gets.

The only problem i'm currently facing is that REALStudio's 'Cocoa' option is still in beta, so i'm currently building ViMM as a carbon app, which makes it slower then I'd like, and it doesn't give me some fancy Cocoa options such as enhanced textfields with Cocoa contextual menu's, but at least it's stable.

It's not the most used programming language, or the most popular one, but it's the one I know, and it gets the job done so far. ^^
It certainly gets the job done.

I was thinking more, as you attest to, a speed increase with a cocoa native app.
Any logs I can grab? I have a couple movies where it just sits on "searching: file information... "

nvm--i just read through the update
As you probably found out, the TV section is yet to be build.
It's a fault on my part that you're able to access it at all at this point, so i'm sorry for the confusion. ^^;
(2012-07-21, 02:44)jmadonald Wrote: [ -> ]Any logs I can grab? I have a couple movies where it just sits on "searching: file information... "

No logs available I think, but i'll look into it, or into adding more logging.
Hi MariusTh86.

Many Thanx for Alpha 2! It works like charm. Especially the movie sets were long awaited and
work like they should. But after all i have a feature request or better a question.
When will it be possible to get the german 'MPAA Ratings' like 'FSK 16'? I ask this because
this is the last missing feature to drop EMM running in a VM and leave Windows completely.

Thanx in advance.

Efty
I think I 'only just' found a way to gather foreign MPAA ratings, it should be done by the next alpha release if I can hack it in there. Wink

Unfortunately the rating needs to be available in "TMDB", and while the american rating system has a pretty good availability, foreign ones such as my native dutch or your german, doesn't have as good an availability amongst all movies, in which case the rating will be left empty.

It might be nice if TMDB had a fallback to the american rating system, but as it stands, you would have to create an account on it, and set the rating yourself before it would be picked up by ViMM trough fetching metadata.

However, i'll make sure that it'll at least be available for the user to be set trough the metadata editor if it's not found.

Edit:
Woohoo! I think I actually did it! at least for DE, NL, FR & EN-UK rating systems so far, it'll be available in the next release. ^^
(2012-07-22, 14:27)MariusTh86 Wrote: [ -> ]As you probably found out, the TV section is yet to be build.
It's a fault on my part that you're able to access it at all at this point, so i'm sorry for the confusion. ^^;
(2012-07-21, 02:44)jmadonald Wrote: [ -> ]Any logs I can grab? I have a couple movies where it just sits on "searching: file information... "

No logs available I think, but i'll look into it, or into adding more logging.

Marius! my fault for not reading...excellent app by the way!
Hi

Is ViMM compatible with Mac OS X Mountain Lion ?

If not, I won't upgrade Smile

Hi Edwin,
you should wait at least for 1 - 2 weeks before a bunch of early adapters will figure out if ML will work for the most services.
with lion some of the Timemachinebackup on a nas stopped workin and require some patching from apple, so keep calm :-)
Best regards
Linus
Thanks Linus,

Then I will not take the risk yet!

Best regards
I haven't got a test machine for this yet, but I imagine that it'll technically still work, but since it's build on an old technology (Called Carbon), it'll potentially look very blurry on retina displays.
I'm planning on using newer technology/cocoa in the future, but the app that i'm using to build ViMM has only experimental support for this as of today.

Once I hear from one of ViMM's users or install Mountain Lion on a machine that supports it, i'll post more details on this subject. Wink

My current development Mac does not support Mountain Lion, since I bought it 1 month before the new Mac's came out that do currently support it.
I like the original Plastic White look, but now I bemoan the fact that I can't use the newer OS yet. =P
I'm planning on getting one of those fancy Retina Laptops around 5 september, since that's my birthday, and since I really sort of need a laptop for work, and as a developer, i'd better have a look at what Retina's gonna be all about in App & Web development. ^^
(2012-07-12, 11:12)MariusTh86 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Joel, I can't seem to reproduce this on my own, could you take me through the steps you take to add a movie source to ViMM?
and tell me what kind of sources you use. ( local / network / external drives ? )

Hello,

I have two network drives connected, and when I add two sources at once, it only assumes the last one. For instance, I now have this:

Then I add one more, like this:

When I close the settings window, doing a refresh or not (doesn't matter), when I go back to settings I have this:

I've just updated to the latest version (0.6a2) and it's still doing the same. I didn't have this problem before the alpha version Smile

Also, both of those drives are network connections (a timecapsule disk plus an external disk connected to the timecapsule). I always had the same setup, it was working before.

Thanks.
btw, I'm now using Mountain Lion and ViMM is working great so far Smile (except that little problem with multiple sources, but that already existed in Lion).
Great to hear ViMM is working the same on Mountain Lion, as it does on regular Lion, besides the odd bug you're experiencing of course. Wink

I've completely rewritten the app from scratch for the 0.6 version, that way I could drop a lot of faulty code and add all the new experience i got from making ViMM 0.5. Wink
It's using a totally new and generally more effective way to write the movie paths to the preferences, with your case seeming to be the exception to that.
Luckely, with GREAT thanks to your screenshots, I figured out the problem! apparently ViMM doesn't like to save paths that contain the same folder name.
Or more correctly it does this:

It saves a key with the name "Movies" and the Value "Movie's Path" to your preferences, then it writes a second key with the Name "Movies" and the Value "Another Movie's path", but unfortunately, keys need to be 'unique', so it's just overwriting the previous one.

I'll get right onto fixing that!

Edit: Fixed it by switching the 'key''s and 'value's around, since the path should be unique, and the name definitely shouldn't be, as your case so clearly shows. Wink
It'll be available in the next alpha. ^^
(2012-08-01, 22:57)MariusTh86 Wrote: [ -> ]Great to hear ViMM is working the same on Mountain Lion, as it does on regular Lion, besides the odd bug you're experiencing of course. Wink

I've completely rewritten the app from scratch for the 0.6 version, that way I could drop a lot of faulty code and add all the new experience i got from making ViMM 0.5. Wink
It's using a totally new and generally more effective way to write the movie paths to the preferences, with your case seeming to be the exception to that.
Luckely, with GREAT thanks to your screenshots, I figured out the problem! apparently ViMM doesn't like to save paths that contain the same folder name.
Or more correctly it does this:

It saves a key with the name "Movies" and the Value "Movie's Path" to your preferences, then it writes a second key with the Name "Movies" and the Value "Another Movie's path", but unfortunately, keys need to be 'unique', so it's just overwriting the previous one.

I'll get right onto fixing that!

Edit: Fixed it by switching the 'key''s and 'value's around, since the path should be unique, and the name definitely shouldn't be, as your case so clearly shows. Wink
It'll be available in the next alpha. ^^

Awesome news MariusTh86! Can't wait to try it out.

Yeah, you should use the whole path as the key, that will be unique for sure (at it should be Wink)

Other than that, it's awesome on Mountain Lion.

One thing tho: I never worked with sets before, and I just tried it out in the new version. However, when I add the movies to the XBMC library, after I enter the set (it looks like it's working as a folder on XBMC), the movies itself don't have covers, XBMC uses a screenshot instead. I needed to load a cover from the XBMC option. Fanart works great tho.

Again, I don't know if it has something to do with ViMM or if it's a XBMC issue. It was my first usage of movie sets. Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again man.
btw, a feature request: it would be awesome to download subtitles directly from ViMM using OpenSubtitles and the filesize (they do have that filter and it works great via the webpage). Just a thought Smile