Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you very much as well! Wink
@MariusTh86 - thanks for the quick response and good to hear that you are striving for 'The Best' Media Manager out there .. and getting pretty close too :-)

I see someone has also mentioned the file naming and I see that is now going to be updated in a future release .. see now down to my feedback regards "The Best":-

I have tested Ember Media Manager, Meta<browser>, tinyMediaManager and MediaElch as well as ViMM of course ... so far my choice is MediaElch for a couple of reasons:-

- First it is multi-platform something I appreciate your app is not aiming for and not a major issue just nice to have the flexibility depending on the computer I am sitting at

- Second and what is currently the one feature I appreciate the most in MediaElch is the ability to directly update XBMC when I scrape new art of scrape information on a TV show XBMC has already picked up but I want to refresh the info and thumbnail etc. is there any plans to incorporate this into ViMM?

For look and presentation though I must say your App stands well above any of the others on my MacBook Pro Retina it looks amazing!!
Originally, I was gonna try to go for an all-platform app, since my development environment allows for building apps to Mac, Win & Linux, however while i was working on it, I started using some Mac specific code that couldn't easily be ported.
But who knows, I may still try to make it cross platform in the future. Wink

I don't know how other apps sync their library with ViMediaManager, much less how I can do it, unfortunately. ^^;
If you know of a page that explains this, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it.

Using a MacBook Pro Retina myself, i've luckely been able to succesfully make ViMM look it's very best. Wink
Mine seems to have died too...

I'm running the latest "intel" nightly.

I tried the trick of adding a folder to "Movies" and "TV shows" and removing it so it recognises the new folder structure, but it doesn't work for me.

My error happens as soon as you start up the program. All my TV shows are in a folder called "TV" on my NAS. All my movies are in a folder called "Movies" on my NAS.

Prior to today, everything was fine!

All I did was get a new show called "Vikings" of which I made the folder in the "TV" folder and placed the episode in there. Then I clicked "Update List" and it crashed...

Am I doing something wrong?

Code:
Nil object exception ERROR: 0
Stack:

RaiseExceptionClass
RaiseNilObjectException
ListTVShows.CreateList%%o<ListTVShows>b
dlgProgress.dlgProgress.thrProgress_Run%%o<dlgProgress.dlgProgress>o<Thread>
Delegate.IM_Invoke%%o<Thread>
AddHandler.Stub.0%%
threadRun
CooperativeThread
I doubt it's you, and you should probably update the the latest public release, sicne that's the newest, otherwise try this build to see if it's fixed:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vurg47cfs9xra8l
@MariusTh86 - thanks again for the quick response, I am going to use this in conjunction with MediaElch so I can close eye of the development of both :-)

I have just send a donation your way to help continue the development towards "The Best" Media Manager :-)

Not being a programmer I am not sure how the XBMC integration works in MediaElch but I believe it uses JSON (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSON-RPC_API/v6) to connect to XBMC, remove the update movie from the database then send a refresh request to XBMC so it re-scans the folders and picks up the movie/TV show with the new info

I have just noticed another thing, is there a way to get the path to the actors thumbnails changed when saving to the NFO? I use AFP to connect to my NAS from my Mac but XBMC uses NFS so I was wondering whether a path substitution could be done at the ViMM end when saving?
Thank you for the donation! i'll definitely continue working on making ViMM the best! Wink

I'll look into that page and see what I can do with it.

As for paths, i'm not sure that I can detect the difference between 'AFP', 'SMB' or other kinds of connections, but I may be able to change the path from:
"/Volume/<volumename>/" to "/", or what would make more sense?
I guess what I was referring to is a path substitution so for example when the nfo is saved "/Volumes/temp/test/ViMediaManager/" is replaced with whatever path is set in a preference pane within your app, I could then enter the NFS path so that when loaded into the XBMC database it would use its relative path to retrieve the thumbnail .. does than make sense?

I know I had seen this somewhere and it appears meta<browser> allowed for this, the other option this then opens up is to save all the actor images in a central location so each only need to to saved once for reference in XBMC
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, and to try to keep ViMM as simple as possible, I would like to avoid users having to mess with 'paths' or text replacement and such as much as possible. (I would still like to find a nicer way for the 'renaming pattern' fields)
So I think that it'd be best if it's something I could automagically handle behind the scenes.

What's the NFS path like?
Maybe I should not have mentioned NFS as such, I have all my video files stored on a NAS unit and OpenElec running on a Zotac box and obviously ViMM is scraping from my laptop so the path ViMM has to my actor images is different to the path OpenElec will use whether that be NFS or SMB so I guess I a just look for a way of path substitution that allows me to specify the path written to the NFO for the actor thumbnail rather than use the actual path that ViMM is writing to

So ViMM will save the file to "/Volumes/temp/test/ViMediaManager/" but I might put in a substitution of "smb://NAS/actors" which is what would be saved to the NFO rather than the actual path that ViMM saved the file .. make more sense?
(2013-03-05, 12:29)MariusTh86 Wrote: [ -> ]
  • What does it do instead of downloading backdrops? does it just skip it or hang?

- Skips it, not sure if I see "downloading backdrop/fanart..." in the initial metadata dialog or not.
    - Using the toolbar Extras->download backdrop DOES work, as well as Edit Metadata->Art->backdrop
    - So it's just the initial "fetch metadata" or "fetch missing metadata"

• I can't fix this in the 'intel' version of the app since I have no clue about why it's messing up, for now i'd suggest downloading the 'Cocoa' version since that one handles retina just fine.

- Downloading now!

• What exactly do you mean with 'different' season posters?
    ViMediaManager will download the first one available from the tvdb, after that you can open the episodes manager and select a season from the list, and click on the little black triangle on the bottom right of the window to change the displayed art type and download different images.

- Yup that's what I was asking, since it's in the Episode thing and I'm on retina I couldn't find it... Good to know the feature's there!

Again, great work!
I may understand, but i'm not sure how to solve this in a user friendly way, especially in cases where there might be more then one remote locations, also, have you tried setting a path to smb:// manually and see if XBMC actually sees it? going by XBMC's wiki, i've been assuming only URLs or absolute shell paths would work:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=thu...Thumbnails

Downloading a thumbnail makes ViMM replace the current thumbnail URL with a 'shellpath' from root '/' to the image file.
What I believe you want is to replace part of the path with part of your own path.
To keep ViMM simple, I'd rather not get people to have to set up paths and replacements, because I believe that get's messy quickly.
Also, I can't work out a system in case people want multiple paths replaced that doesn't involve some comma delimited list or whatever, in short messy.

My idea to solve this might involve selecting a target volume or selecting the media player application, and then replacing all actor shell paths' '/volume/name/' from a ViMM point of view to a '/volume/name/' from a MediaPlayer's point of view.
I can understand you wanting to keep it simple and it was only an idea and not necessary, like you say the XBMC can be configured for path substitution via advancedsettings.xml it was only when I saw it in another application I thought it would be a nice idea

I don't think this would be needed for everyone so if not set could take the default therefore not complicating it for users who do not need it but giving the option for people that might benefit from it, your idea of replacing from a ViMM to Mediaplayer point of view sounds like the right idea, maybe in the screen where you add the paths there could be a field next to the path for inputting the media player path, if left blank just takes the ViMM path? This would then also deal with multiple locations which actually would apply to me.
found another little bug. When scraping if an error is thrown the error window is just white and there's no way to acknowledge or dismiss it. This is both intel and cocoa. In previous versions (a5) the error text would display with an "OK" button (example "host unreachable" server response, etc...)

It's been a thorn in my eye for a long time, basically it's a bug where I can't show dialog windows while the process is running inside a thread.
I'll see if there's anything I can do.