Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV1] Low memory causes stuttery video and frequent crashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I've been using XBMC on an original Apple TV, since my Xbox was getting long in the tooth. Lately, I've been having troubles with videos stuttering and also having frequent crashes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what videos crash and when...some videos will stutter or crash the unit, and then play flawlessly a minute later. I turned on debug logging yesterday, as per the information on making a proper report, and I noticed that the free memory sits around 3000-4000/262144 KB, which seems like a very low amount. The version of XBMC I am using is "XBMC 10.1 Git:e9e9099 (Compiled : Ma..."(goes off the screen there). I am using a modified version of the Confluence skin (same as the default, but every font size has been increased by 50% (12 to 18, 20 to 30, etc.) so my parents can read it. I am using Launcher 3.2.5. I have NitoTV 0.9.5 installed as well (would love to uninstall it if I could find out how!), not sure if that is relevant. The Apple TV OS version is 3.0.2. It is connected via HDMI at a resolution of 720p to a Sony TV. I don't have a CrystalHD, but Santa has been informed that I want one. I have uploaded my xbmc.log to http://pastebin.com/xSKxPF8R

Sorry for the post, but I'm at a loss on how to troubleshoot low memory on a device like this (if that is indeed the problem, seems like it must be, but I'm far from an expert!). Thank you very much for your time helping me and for creating such an amazing program! Smile
Almost forgot...the videos that the crashes happen while playing are all standard definition. Some are video streams from the Canada On Demand plugin, some are 624x352 Xvid files stored on the local hard drive, but none are HD.
atv1 has 256MBs of ram but also has swap on a HD. Don't worry about ram, darwin will use as much ram as it needs, in the case of the atv1, it will use it all and swap as needed.
Hmm. Well, that does it for my theory. Any idea why my XBMC is so unstable, all of a sudden?
what changed ?
It started crashing often, with status 11 or 6 when it did. It also started buffering sometimes on locally stored video (as in, video that was on the internal hard drive, not off the internet), and sometimes would stop playback, seemingly at random. Often, a file that would provoke this kind of problem would playback just fine five minutes later. I don't think anything changed with the setup, at least not that I am aware of. Did I not provide enough information? If not, I'm very sorry.