Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Play Blu-ray Movies from folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have ripped several Blu-ray movies I own to folders on my hard drive. The movies are ripped with DVDFab and placed in folders with the name of the movies. I always rip with the "Movie Only" option, and the Blu-ray movie folders on my hard drive contain BDMV and Certificate subfolders.

I have several regular DVD movies in folders on my hard drive also, and I use Library mode to access those folders. XBMC (Dharma 10.1) is working fine for regular DVD's, and I can see all the movie information, etc., which XBMC downloads from IMDB. I would like to do the same thing with my Blu-ray rips. It seems like XBMC should be able to be set up to watch the Blu-ray movies from folders in the same way that I can watch regular DVD movies from folders. I just don't know how to do that with Blu-ray movies. Can someone point me to some instructions for setting up Blu-ray movies to watch on XBMC from folders in the same way that I watch regular DVD movies?
I watch Blu Ray movies in the same folder structure as you normally using a pre Eden nightly. I don't do anything special to watch them. They're added to my library normally and I just click playback to play.
clubwerks Wrote:I watch Blu Ray movies in the same folder structure as you normally using a pre Eden nightly. I don't do anything special to watch them. They're added to my library normally and I just click playback to play.

Thanks, but what do you mean by using a "pre Eden"?
xbmcJunky Wrote:Thanks, but what do you mean by using a "pre Eden"?

One of these http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

I'm not 100% sure being as that I'm not a developer or anything, but I think only the "pre Eden" and coming stable release of Eden support decrypted BluRay playback from within XBMC.
On another note, if you want to enjoy your BluRay iso rips with the full DTS-HD MA or TrueHD, search for bluray's thread on playing back HD audio from within XBMC. I'm using that build to bitstream the HD audio tracks from bluray movies and it's fantastic. We watched How to Train Your Dragon last night with the full TrueHD audio track and I was blown away.
Strange. I use 10.1 right now (not Pre-Eden), and BD rips to folders add to my library fine. Hmmm...

For Library I use "Use Folder Names for Lookups" so the path to the movie on my system would be:

/mnt/bd01/XBMC_Media/BD_Rips/Movie_Name

And in the Movie_Name folder, there's the normal BD structure of BDMV, Certificate, whichever. So I don't move the contents of BDMV to the root of Movie_Name.

I use AnyDVDHD instead of DVDFab, and I've got my playercorefactory set to use TMT to play the folder, but I'm not sure if that matters. (I can also bring up the context menu and use the built-in XBMC DVDPlayer to play it as well if I want to skip the menus and stuff)

I'm not sure if it's something I've done in my advanced settings or not (I can't see anything out of the ordinary).

Here's my advancedsettings.xml video section anyway:
Code:
<videoextensions>
  <add>.hdmov.wmvhd</add>
  <remove>.mpls|.m2ts</remove>
</videoextensions>

And my playercorefactory
Code:
<player name="TMT BD Disc" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>c:\Program Files\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre\uMCEDVDPlayer.exe</filename>
      <args>"D:"</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
   <player name="TotalMedia Theatre" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>X:\Tools\Media_Players\ATM_Player.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}"</args>
    </player>

<rule name="Blu-Ray" protocols="bd" player="TMT BD Disc"/>
    <rule filename=".*BDMV.*" player="TotalMedia Theatre"/>
nathanjones Wrote:Strange. I use 10.1 right now (not Pre-Eden), and BD rips to folders add to my library fine. Hmmm...

For Library I use "Use Folder Names for Lookups" so the path to the movie on my system would be:

/mnt/bd01/XBMC_Media/BD_Rips/Movie_Name

And in the Movie_Name folder, there's the normal BD structure of BDMV, Certificate, whichever. So I don't move the contents of BDMV to the root of Movie_Name.

I use AnyDVDHD instead of DVDFab, and I've got my playercorefactory set to use TMT to play the folder, but I'm not sure if that matters. (I can also bring up the context menu and use the built-in XBMC DVDPlayer to play it as well if I want to skip the menus and stuff)

I'm not sure if it's something I've done in my advanced settings or not (I can't see anything out of the ordinary).

Here's my advancedsettings.xml video section anyway:
Code:
<videoextensions>
  <add>.hdmov.wmvhd</add>
  <remove>.mpls|.m2ts</remove>
</videoextensions>

And my playercorefactory
Code:
<player name="TMT BD Disc" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>c:\Program Files\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre\uMCEDVDPlayer.exe</filename>
      <args>"D:"</args>
    </player>
   <player name="TotalMedia Theatre" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>X:\Tools\Media_Players\ATM_Player.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}"</args>
    </player>

<rule name="Blu-Ray" protocols="bd" player="TMT BD Disc"/>
    <rule filename=".*BDMV.*" player="TotalMedia Theatre"/>

That's the old workaround. In pre Eden, as long as the file is decrypted, it just works without any changes to the files or add on players. Not sure about encrypted BD, all mine are decrypted.
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I just tried loading the decrypted Blu-ray files to the library in the same way as I do regular DVDs and they loaded just fine. Then I tried playing one of them without setting up any external player or anything, and it played just fine as well.

I am still on Dharma 10.1, so it looks like you don't need the pre-Eden version to play Blu-rays. Problem solved (but I guess there was no problem after all).
i never like xbmc till i found pre-eden several months ago. pre-eden can playback every bd files (index.bdmv, iso, m2ts, mkv, avi, etc) with dts-hd/truehd. it doesn't required any messy external playercorefactory code either.

if you are interesting in it, you can find my guides here- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd and some screen shots here- post #11.
The latest XBMC builds do have simple BD support but if you want to access a full menu, e.g. to select a theatrical/director's cut and/or extras, or to play BD-3D you still need an external full-featured BD player.
I've managed to connect TMT 5 as an external player for BD folders successfully in XBMC, but my set-up was rather a PoC than a real HTPC.