Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing videos in File View without scraping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Basically I have a folder in my library that contains a bunch of videos that I don't want scraped and added to my Movies/TV Shows libraries. These are mostly short films and various one-off TV shows - things that don't have entries on IMDb/TheTVDB etc.

The problem is that when I go into File View and try to play them, XBMC tries to scrape them and I can't figure out how to tell it to just play without scraping. I feel I must be missing something kind of obvious. When I add the folder as a source I set the content as 'none', but then when I try playing a file it just takes me back to the 'set content' screen.

It seems there must be something simple I'm doing wrong. Anyone know what it might be?

Cheers.
I've done what you're doing, but I always set content to movies and it works fine. It obviously doesn't find anything when it scrapes them, so I just play them from file view.
clubwerks Wrote:I've done what you're doing, but I always set content to movies and it works fine. It obviously doesn't find anything when it scrapes them, so I just play them from file view.

You can just and the folder as a source and set the content type to "None" and it will not scan.
If I set the content to Movies it tries to look the videos up on IMDb, which is annoying because I don't want the videos scraped and added to my Movies library.

If I set the content to 'none' then whenever I try playing a video from File View it takes me back to the 'set content' screen.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
80sretroparty Wrote:If I set the content to Movies it tries to look the videos up on IMDb, which is annoying because I don't want the videos scraped and added to my Movies library.

If I set the content to 'none' then whenever I try playing a video from File View it takes me back to the 'set content' screen.

I have a folder for home videos /media/WDDrive/Home Videos. The source has that folder for the path, the name for the folder is called HomeVideos. On the next screen the content type is set to None, and the Exclude folder from scans is unchecked. Getting to it from Videos then HomeVideos they all show up and play. If you're setup the same then I have no idea what's wrong.
80sretroparty Wrote:If I set the content to Movies it tries to look the videos up on IMDb, which is annoying because I don't want the videos scraped and added to my Movies library.

Set content to movies
Exclude folder from scans
Deny an information rescan
you can also create your own simple .nfo files which should eliminate any scanning/scraping as well as allow you to view and play them in library mode.
PatK Wrote:Set content to movies
Exclude folder from scans
Deny an information rescan

I tried this again but if the content is set to Movies then it always tries to scrape movie info, which isn't what I want.

outatouch0 Wrote:you can also create your own simple .nfo files which should eliminate any scanning/scraping as well as allow you to view and play them in library mode.

This works in that it prevents XBMC from trying to scrape the movie info, but it still adds the videos to the Movie library. I'm looking for a way to just play the videos from within File View, without having them added to my Movie library.

Cheers.
Still haven't been able to get this to work properly. Can anyone else help?

Cheers.
Set "exclude from scan" when you "set content" on the directory/folder.
Quote:Set "exclude from scan" when you "set content" on the directory/folder.

I've tried that but still no luck.

These are the settings I'm using for the folder:

Directory contains: Movies
Run automated scan: Off
Use folder names for lookups: Off
Scan recursively: Off
Selected folder contains a single video: Greyed out
Exclude path from library updates: On

With these settings, when I try playing a video from File View XBMC attempts to scrape info and adds the video to the Movies library.

If I set content to 'None' then when I try playing a video it just takes me back to the 'set content' menu, regardless of whether 'exclude path from library updates' is on or off.

I've tried making nfo files for the videos and this prevents the scraping, but the video will still then show up in the Movies library, which I don't want.

Any suggestions?