Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HTTPS as video source not working in nighty (20110919-030cfbc) [ATV2|Win32]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Problem "solved"

Well... kinda.

After some testing I noticed it did work from my homepage, but not from HFS. Comparing the html source of both, I could see some big differences. Since HFS gives you the option to create a template which it uses to serve its files, I tried modifying this template to have a similar layout as from a normal webbrowser.

This finally did it. I wouldn't call it the prettiest template, I just modified the working html into a template, using most of the default HFS template. I left the template on pastebin, for whoever's interested.

I do have another question. The whole reason for doing this, was so I can share my library with my parents over the internet. I was already using FTP for it, but I remember being told once that HTTP(S) was a better option. However, I was also browsing the wiki again today, and there the same comment is placed by both FTP and HTTP -> Not really suitable for streaming, so don't use as a video or music source.

So, any opinions which should work better or has more support? (Do either retrieve the audio/video codec info beforehand, so you can see if a movie is SD/HD?)

Remco
HTTP not suitable for streaming? I guess no one ever told Youtube/hulu/etc.

I would agree with FTP not being as good, though. HTTP includes content-type header which will help, and it's pretty fast with low overhead.

I've never used HFS, but I would guess that a basic index would be fine, like apache indexes.
Did you use the "Web server directory" option to add your server ?

I want to be able to do this myself, but I've only gotten an empty list, as you did. I will try to change the template, thank you for adding it.