Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Normalize audio levels for videos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if there is any way in xbmc to normalize (meaning, make it so the audio level is the same for all video files) the audio level during playback for videos? I find that very often the audio levels for many videos are either too loud or too quiet, and it is really annoying to keep having to adjust the volume on my stereo.

Thanks!
What OS are you using? If you're using Windows you can set an option in the OS itself that'll accomplish it to a point. It's not perfect, but it's better. I'm sure there's an option in Mac or Linux as well.
I'm looking for a solution to this issue as well. On windows.

Specifically, most SD content has to be cranked on the receiver while HD content is much more reasonable.
YodaEXE Wrote:What OS are you using? If you're using Windows you can set an option in the OS itself that'll accomplish it to a point. It's not perfect, but it's better. I'm sure there's an option in Mac or Linux as well.

I am usingg windows 7 64-bit. Thank you!
I'm taking some comfort from the fact there are others experiencing this problem too.

In my set-up HD content is very, very loud and SD very quiet. Would just like a solution that meets the two somewhere in the middle.
Blakey0 Wrote:I'm taking some comfort from the fact there are others experiencing this problem too.

In my set-up HD content is very, very loud and SD very quiet. Would just like a solution that meets the two somewhere in the middle.

Are you on Windows? If so, what codec package do you have installed?

I'm using Shark007.
Codecs are included in XBMC so it doesn't matter what external codec packs you have installed for playback in XBMC.
you can try selecting "boost volume level on downmix" in xbmc audio output settings. another word, it'll have very similar volume whenever it required downmix.
bluray Wrote:you can try selecting "boost volume level on downmix" in xbmc audio output settings. another word, it'll have very similar volume whenever it required downmix.

No that was already selected.

Does anyone know a fix?
RGB_Gamer Wrote:No that was already selected.

Does anyone know a fix?
i don't think that there is any other option in xbmc. the best option for now, might be the up/down volume buttons!
Current XBMC git master has a volume amplification setting which you can use during playback.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Current XBMC git master has a volume amplification setting which you can use during playback.

yes but can it normalize so all audio is the same level (instead of mr having to constantly adjust the audio?)
Yes, it can.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Current XBMC git master has a volume amplification setting which you can use during playback.

what is git master? will it allow for audio to be raised to certain level if the audio levely gets too low?
It's https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc the main development branch of XBMC.
It's where the nightly builds are based on.

The volume amplification works like this, the sound is amplified by x dB, then if it clips the gain is reduced until it doesn't clip anymore, the reduced gain is then held the same for 25 ms, and then increased to normal in 100 ms.
Pages: 1 2