Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Program to delete all my .nfo files from my movie library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wanted to clean up my movie folders and start from scratch and have Ember Media recreate the .nfo files for all my movies for me. Is there a method or program for removing all .nfo files in hundreds of folders?
use "search" option in windows

*.nfo
Hello

Ember can clean all your movie folders. Last time I used it, it was unable to clean folders for tv shows though.
To expand on what tonieb said.
Ember has the option to clean these up from movie folders
Edit -> Settings -> Options tab -> File System
On the right hand side check mark the items you want to have removed. For your specific question that would be "/movie.nfo" or "/<movie>.nfo". However you have them named.
Check those boxes, hit Apply then OK.
Then 'Tools menu -> Clean Files'. It will then give you a warning message showing you what it's about to delete and give you the option to continue or cancel. Click 'Yes' and it'll then go through the cleaning process. Remember to only check the items you want to delete because there is no undo option.

As tonieb also said, this only works for movies.
In windows:

Code:
del *.nfo /s
parslej Wrote:In windows:

Code:
del *.nfo /s

Using Explorer's search for *.nfo and command prompt command del *.nfo /s both work as well and quite effectively.

One advantage to using Ember (if you're already using it to manage your library), is it will clean the files from all source locations. If you have your media stretched along multiple drives or network shares you can delete these files in one step. As long as they are in Ember's library then it'll clean it out of all locations. Wink
Is there any certain settings in Ember that is suggested to be used for XBMC? I want my media to have the most features available for XBMC.
Rygrath Wrote:To expand on what tonieb said.
Ember has the option to clean these up from movie folders
Edit -> Settings -> Options tab -> File System
On the right hand side check mark the items you want to have removed. For your specific question that would be "/movie.nfo" or "/<movie>.nfo". However you have them named.
Check those boxes, hit Apply then OK.
Then 'Tools menu -> Clean Files'. It will then give you a warning message showing you what it's about to delete and give you the option to continue or cancel. Click 'Yes' and it'll then go through the cleaning process. Remember to only check the items you want to delete because there is no undo option.

As tonieb also said, this only works for movies.

What is the .nfo files are named other names. I guess doing this through explorer would be a little easier.
i prefer using xbmc as it scrapes trailers!
ember scapes trailers but you have to edit there url to work correctly..
ya I noticed the other day I had movie trailers to watch when before I did not. It also did a pretty good job on its own finding most information on movies except for a few.
fluentdesigns Wrote:Is there any certain settings in Ember that is suggested to be used for XBMC? I want my media to have the most features available for XBMC.

There are a few guides out there. Little searching 'round the forums has some good ones. To save you time here's two that are pretty straight forward

http://dev.jumlin.com:8080/mediacenter/

http://www.howtogeek.com/61976/how-to-us...nto-shape/
olancasey Wrote:i prefer using xbmc as it scrapes trailers!
ember scapes trailers but you have to edit there url to work correctly..

what do you mean have to edit the URL.... I stopped having ember scrap trailers for this very reason... xbmc would tell me I had a trailer for xxxx movie yet when I tried to play the trailer it wouldn't work.

-=Jason=-
The following script will delete all NFO files in the directory it is launced from an all sub directories:

Code:
OPTION EXPLICIT
DIM strExtensionsToDelete,strFolder
DIM objFSO

' ************************************************************
' Setup

' Folder to delete files from (files will also be deleted from subfolders)
strFolder = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetAbsolutePathName(".")
' A comma separated list of file extensions
' Files with extensions provided in the list below will be deleted
strExtensionsToDelete = "nfo"

set objFSO = createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

RecursiveDeleteByExtension strFolder,strExtensionsToDelete

wscript.echo "Finished"

sub RecursiveDeleteByExtension(byval strDirectory,strExtensionsToDelete)
    DIM objFolder, objSubFolder, objFile
    DIM strExt

set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strDirectory)
    for each objFile in objFolder.Files
        for each strExt in SPLIT(UCASE(strExtensionsToDelete),",")
            if RIGHT(UCASE(objFile.Path),LEN(strExt)+1) = "." & strExt then
                objFile.Delete
                exit for
            end if
        next
    next    
    for each objSubFolder in objFolder.SubFolders
        RecursiveDeleteByExtension objSubFolder.Path,strExtensionsToDelete
    next
end sub

Changing the line 'strExtensionsToDelete = "nfo"' will enable you to delete other files too. e.g strExtensionsToDelete = "nfo, tbn, jpg" will delete all .nfo files, all .tbn files and all .jpg files.

Hope this helps
from other responses it seems you are using windows.
i honestly think booting xbmc-live (ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a terminal) and doing
Code:
rm `find . -name "*.nfo"`
would be easiest.
schneidz Wrote:from other responses it seems you are using windows.
i honestly think booting xbmc-live (ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a terminal) and doing
Code:
rm `find . -name "*.nfo"`
would be easiest.

If you're using Windows why is that easier than opening a command prompt and typing:

del /s *.nfo

JR
Pages: 1 2