Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this HTPC possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I have been looking into MANY mediaextenders (mostly due to their price and simplicity) but none has it ALL. So now I am wondering if XBMC has what it takes.

What I am looking for software wise is:

Auto-scraper(for movies and TV Shows)

Being able to download subtitles for movies/shows missing them.

Iso and DVD folder playback and also of cause all nowadays standard formats including external subtitles

Sabnzbd+ support for downloading on the HTPC directly
NZB search + download. Currently using nzbmatrix, saw a python script which uses some other sites but I guess I can dig into python and convert it to fit with the nzbmatrix api.

Streaming from multiple sources including network(have a NAS)

And also, quite smooth GUI(The fewer steps, the better!), so I want a hassle to configure, a smooth ride to use!

If you guys have thoughts, ideas(like plugins) it would be much appreciated. What kind of hardware is required for this? I was thinking to build my own HTPC in a small cabinet (mATX), should be able to show 1080p and download 100Mbit (SSL) through SABnzbd+, feasible?
Yeah, that's pretty much what every single person on here is doing and why we love XBMC so much (and more) :)

If you need a lot of cheap boxes (multiple rooms) you can do ATV2s ($99) jailbroken running XBMC. Development on the ATV2/iOS is coming along fantastically. If it's your main HTPC then I would build a cheap computer using miniITX or mATX.

Check out the Hardware for HTPC Discussion Forum for more info on hardware.

$200 or less these days can get you a system that will do everything you want and more.
Ned Scott Wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much what every single person on here is doing and why we love XBMC so much (and more) Smile

If you need a lot of cheap boxes (multiple rooms) you can do ATV2s ($99) jailbroken running XBMC. Development on the ATV2/iOS is coming along fantastically. If it's your main HTPC then I would build a cheap computer using miniITX or mATX.

Check out the Hardware for HTPC Discussion Forum for more info on hardware.

$200 or less these days can get you a system that will do everything you want and more.

Thx for the reply. Apple aint my cup of tea but have been browsing the various hardware threads. A lot of good stuff, just have to convert it to whats available in Sweden. The barebones are not that common here for some reason. Found some info about flicr. That should probably work set to DVD mode(panasonic remote), can save a few bucks there(and girlfriend might be happy not adding ANOTHER remote) Big Grin.
Todilo Wrote:Thx for the reply. Apple aint my cup of tea but have been browsing the various hardware threads. A lot of good stuff, just have to convert it to whats available in Sweden. The barebones are not that common here for some reason. Found some info about flicr. That should probably work set to DVD mode(panasonic remote), can save a few bucks there(and girlfriend might be happy not adding ANOTHER remote) :D.

Re: ATV2: No worries if Apple isn't your cup of tea, since the whole thing requires a jailbreak and loading software outside of Apple :) Like I said before though, you probably want something with a little more umph (and ability to run torrent clients, downloaders, a mysql central XBMC library, etc), but the ATV2 boxes are about as cheap as you can get for a machine that does 1080 decoding/720 output. Just something to keep in mind.
Ned Scott Wrote:Re: ATV2: No worries if Apple isn't your cup of tea, since the whole thing requires a jailbreak and loading software outside of Apple Smile Like I said before though, you probably want something with a little more umph (and ability to run torrent clients, downloaders, a mysql central XBMC library, etc), but the ATV2 boxes are about as cheap as you can get for a machine that does 1080 decoding/720 output. Just something to keep in mind.

I just looked at the price, maaan that is cheap Big Grin. But as you said I need things like sabnzbd support (and downloading of nzb).

Have setup xbmc on my desktop computer atm, just to try things out(currently just streaming through ps3 media server to my ps3). Have read up on python as well, have 2 ideas for plugins which I want to try out.(time to put those programming skills to use Big Grin).
I've had an ATV2 running nightlies for a little over a month now and I'm building an mITX HTPC this weekend and running the Windows build of XBMC.

ATV2 is cheap, but you pay for it with a lot of limited functionality. Apple's remote API sucks, which limits my Harmony's functionality. Any live streams that require external players are no-go. There's very few skins that run smoothly on it. Overtaxing the CPU causes it to crash. Actual 720p playback is great, but smooth menu-browsing during playback is impossible with the limited resources.

It's definitely a good cheap option for a second room player, but I found it underwhelming to use as my primary media center.
cfg9000 Wrote:I've had an ATV2 running nightlies for a little over a month now and I'm building an mITX HTPC this weekend and running the Windows build of XBMC.

ATV2 is cheap, but you pay for it with a lot of limited functionality. Apple's remote API sucks, which limits my Harmony's functionality. Any live streams that require external players are no-go. There's very few skins that run smoothly on it. Overtaxing the CPU causes it to crash. Actual 720p playback is great, but smooth menu-browsing during playback is impossible with the limited resources.

It's definitely a good cheap option for a second room player, but I found it underwhelming to use as my primary media center.

Maybe with Aeon skins, but most run smoothly on mine. Enable Dirty Regions. And only HD mpeg2 live TV won't play. SD mpeg and HD h.264 content is fine.