Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-02-09, 20:08)richardk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-09, 19:59)cfetzer Wrote: [ -> ]We need to identify the component that causes this. If the frontend<->backend connections are up all the time, then reconnecting is ok.
Next suspect would be image caching.

Since I cannot reproduce this, I'd need your help. Could you please compile my branch "debug-backend-cpu"
and try that? I disabled image support in there. Let me know if that makes any difference.

(https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-add...nd-cpu.zip )

One more interesting thing is: How many recordings do you currently have and how often do you record?

Thanks, Christian

Thanks! I'll compile your debug version and try it. However, it could be several days before I know for sure if the problem is solved.

I have a lot of recordings -- about 1200. I record about 5-10 per day. Old recordings are deleted to make room for new ones.

Nothing definitive yet, but this is looking very promising. I built the test addon version, and installed it in my Ubuntu system (AspireRevo 1600, Ubuntu 12.10). I rebooted my MythTV system, so as to start clean there.

So far, I've played two complete one-hour HD programs, and portions of a few others. The cpu load for mythbackend has remained at about 3% - 9%, usually closer to 3% if it's not recording at the same time. This is comparable to using the MythTV frontend.

If I get energetic, I may build OpenELEC using this version of the addon. Either way, we'll keep using it, and I'll report the results here.
One oddity: Playing a video on Windows, I'm seeing about double the cpu load on mythbackend compared to playing the exact same content from my Ubuntu system.

However, with the non-image version of the plugin, that's 3% - 4% (Ubuntu) versus 7% - 8% (Windows).

So far, I'm still not seeing the cpu load increase with time, now that I'm using the non-image version.
@cfetzer

I got the stack trace and a debug log for the addon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bchp8dee472bzg...ogs.tar.gz
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what's the status of commercial skipping for mythtv recordings? I'd love this feature, and it's honestly the only thing holding me back from switching from mythtv-frontend. I would really like to see a notification when a commercial is coming up, and then be able to skip the commercials using a button.

Also, is there any ability to sort the episodes by their season and episode? Mythtv stores this in its database, so it could directly be used.
cfetzer would have more information on it but my understanding is that the request is in to enhance the pvr api for xbmc. Once that gets approved the mythtv addon already has all the code to enable comm skipping. I would expect it to be sooner rather than later.
I've seen some more high cpu usage from Mythbackend, but I don't want to draw any conclusions yet. I remembered that my other system (running OpenELEC) was still connected to the network, although I don't believe it had played any videos since the last reboot of MythTV.

I've now disconnected it and rebooted MythTV once more to start fresh. I'll post when I know more.
I really love the your pvr addon! I use it a lot.

Unfortunately LiveTV crashes some times. But usually I just record it through mythweb, etc. and watch the recording.

What brings me to the main reason of my post: I have atm a bit more than 1000 recordings.
This takes the the recording screen about 10 secs to load.
And the "* All Recordings" page more than 30 secs.

I can live with the 10 s and only use the categorized recording folders.

Mythfrontends loads the recordings page much faster. And I'm interested to know what could be the reason for that?

Thanks again for your excellent work!
(2013-02-09, 10:44)cfetzer Wrote: [ -> ]Of cause this is something we need to resolve. But I didn't see this on my backend.
Thanks for your efforts so far! It would be nice if you could answer a few questions (as detailed as possible), so that I get an idea of where to start looking.

- Is your backend always running or does it go to standby? Always running
- Is your xbmc frontend always running? Do you shutdown xbmc or does it go to standby? Mostly standby, some shutdowns
- Does memory usage increase over time? No issues with memory usage noticed
- How about idle loads? From what I understood, idle is always good, you only see the difference when starting playback. Correct, increased cpu load stops when front end is turned off
- Does the cpu usage increase over time or does the number of playback starts/stops matter? If you start and stop plenty of recordings can you reproduce it then within a couple of minutes? Unknown, will test tonight.
- Anything suspicious in the backend/xbmc logs? Yes, following lines repeat:

When the openelec frontend is on:
2013-02-11 18:13:38.601 MainServer::HandleAnnounce FileTransfer
2013-02-11 18:13:38.601 adding: OPENE_A3400 as a remote file transfer
2013-02-11 18:13:38.706 RingBuf(/mnt/vault/mythtv/9232_20120407060000.mpg.png) Error: OpenFile(): Could not open.

It's asking for a preview thumbnail for a recording, so if I open mythweb it will generate the thumbnail and then the message stops.

When xbmc / openelec is suspended:
2013-02-11 18:30:03.317 MythSocket(2c637a0:19): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (881 errors)
2013-02-11 18:30:09.671 MythSocket(2c637a0:19): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (878 errors)
2013-02-11 18:30:19.682 MythSocket(2c637a0:19): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (878 errors)
2013-02-11 18:30:29.690 MythSocket(2c637a0:19): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (879 errors)
2013-02-11 18:30:39.700 MythSocket(2c637a0:19): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (880 errors)

I have a couple hundred recordings, but record 10-20 shows a day. (I export most stuff I want to keep out of MythTV using a modified mythicalLibrarian script after removing the commercials.)
@watskooo
@cfetzer

I saw your log. You have an hung connexion (mythsocket...writeblock). This cause lot of cpu usage on backend. This is the issue i tried to resolve when frontend sleep. But here you don t suspend your frontend. So probably there had a network disconnection. To resolve it you need to reboot the backend.
Since few commits i changed the connexion type for the event handler to avoid this issue on suspend.
Christian, i made PR to avoid to download images when not exists yet. It could help also.
@Powderking
Hi, you must to know that released addon has a performance issue with recordings. We are waiting to push the last version since frodo is out.
If you use the released then i sugger you try to install the last dev.
Else for the dev addon, the recording screen is managed by xbmc itself. But few infos are collected during refresh. If you can have a detailled log it would be great to identify the bootle neck. Cdt
Thx for your answer janbar!

Atm I have 1.6.7 of the plugin. Are you interested this log too?

The machine runs Debian so I had to build the on my own. I will update and see if it's better. If not I'll post a detailed log...

Thanks again!
(2013-02-12, 23:07)Powderking Wrote: [ -> ]Thx for your answer janbar!

Atm I have 1.6.7 of the plugin. Are you interested this log too?

The machine runs Debian so I had to build the on my own. I will update and see if it's better. If not I'll post a detailed log...

Thanks again!

Can you compile an install the test addon that omits the images? It would be great to have someone else testing this, since I'm getting confusing results so far.

I have a version compiled for 32-bit Ubuntu 12.10. If that would run on your system, I could send you a zip file.
Sorry me again. I just wanted to be sure:
I have updated the https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons.git code and run make zip. I then install the zip in xbmc?

Or is there a more elegant possibility?

@richardk: I have Debian 3.2.35-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

But I can clone the git repos if you give me the correct address and the correct configure options.
(2013-02-12, 23:31)Powderking Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry me again. I just wanted to be sure:
I have updated the https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons.git code and run make zip. I then install the zip in xbmc?

Or is there a more elegant possibility?

@richardk: I have Debian 3.2.35-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

But I can clone the git repos if you give me the correct address and the correct configure options.

See post #1839 for the repository.

Instructions for compiling are here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...FromSource

Unzip the source and use that instead of doing the git-clone step.
Sorry I don't think i get the right log. Do I have to enable Debug logging in XBMC and use ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log?

Or do you want the mythbackend log?