Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB sources not appearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Up until recently, connecting to shared folders over the network was working fine for me. But recently, every time I try to add an SMB source, the list is empty (i.e. I can't see any of my shared folders). Oddly, I can map a network drive and add the source that way, but since I'm trying to set this up with my AppleTV, I'm assuming (?) this won't work for what I'm trying to do.

Here's a checklist of things I've ensured:
- All of the networked computers are in the same workgroup
- File and printer sharing is enabled
- Password protected sharing is disabled
- The folders are obviously being shared because I can access them through Windows Explorer
- I haven't changed any router settings

The problem started when I was moving my external media drives to another computer on the network to act as a media server of sorts. I did name some of the Shared folders the same as they had been shared on the previous computer, but I have since returned to the original setup so I'm not sure if/why this would still be a problem.

I've uploaded my log file here: http://pastebin.com/mD6CMVRj

I'm guessing the issue is the following line, but I'm not sure what to make of it:

Code:
18:02:26 T:4548 M:2608562176   ERROR: WnetOpenEnum failed with error 1222

Using 10.1 on my Windows XBMC and I've used both the most recent stable version (?) on AppleTV in addition to a nightly build (20110919 I believe). I don't believe it's a platform-specific issue. (Edit: Also, this is occurring on two of my Windows machines and the AppleTV, so it seems to be network-wide)

If anyone has an idea, I would greatly appreciate the help. I've exhausted most of my ideas after days of searching.
A couple of things that probably wont solve the problem

1. The database structure in stable 10.1 and nightlies is different so you can't just downgrade. you need to rebuild the database again in 10.1 format (probably easiest to delete the userdata when you downgrade to 10.1 I'm not sure what version you are running on the ATV2

2. When you post a log turn on debug logging (Settings | System | Debugging) as it gives more information than the normal debug log

Other thoughts
1. Do your shares have static IPs or dynamic? Could be worth making sure that the media server is a static IP do you are not relying on name resolution
2. I would just try and get it working on one of your other windows machines first of all. On the 'test' client you could delete the userdata folder (in %APPDATA%\XBMC) so that you start with a clean system and try and connect your sources as windows network (SMB)

not sure if any of this will work though.

Good luck.
Rocketpants, thanks for your response.

Here's a more detailed log as per your instructions: http://pastebin.com/KUwmskJP (critical lines at 168 and 169 - a new error too this time).

A couple answers to your suggestions. I'm fairly certain that all the devices on my network have static IPs. I'm not so much worried about whether I will be able to connect to devices I previously added as sources because I can't find them in the first place. Also, I never did a downgrade from a nightly to a stable but rather an upgrade to the nightly, so I'm not sure if that would still be a problem. In addition, and this seems to go along with your other suggestion, but these logs actually are from a clean install. I installed XBMC to the PC from which I'm writing (which has never had XBMC previously installed), went straight to Add Source and came up with nothing.

Thanks again for your suggestions, and hopefully the detailed debug log sparks some new ideas.
Error 64 is ERROR_NETNAME_DELETED - The specified network name is no longer available. Error 1222 is ERROR_NO_NETWORK - The network is not present or not started.

Do your PCs show the weather and RSS feed correctly? If not you have a network problem. You can also get this error if you're trying to connect to a non-Windows server like a NAS and the password is wrong or the user account doesn't exist. For example QNAPs report this type of error instead of the expected error 5 - access denied.

JR
Jhsrennie: Thanks, I tried your suggestion but weather seems to be working fine. I've uploaded a pastebin (for weather) which doesn't appear to show anything peculiar ( http://pastebin.com/pPirvffi ). Also, all my sources are on Windows-based machines. I've tried two Windows 7 machines, and a Vista box. On this particular machine, I've even enabled the guest account and disabled network password requirement (through some Run->X config tool which I stumbled across through my searches).

Things aren't looking so good it seems No
On my PC Kaspersky was preventing my ATV2 to see SMB
I use only Microsoft Security Essentials, which I believe doesn't have a firewall feature on its own, so I doubt that would be causing problems (but I will check next time I'm home). I've also tried with or without Windows Firewall enabled, and with or without my router security settings enabled.
check and make sure that everyone is enabled for the shares and sometimes they can corrupt themselves you may also want to try un sharing the sources then re sharing them.

One more thing, make sure that your workgroup is on a home network.