Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: mysql sharing, possible to share with Windows and OS/X?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I currently have all my files on a Samba share, and I'm running a mysql server and successfully sharing between all the Windows systems in my house. I also have a macbook. It is able to read my library from mysql but when I attempt to watch a video it cannot find it, even with I manually connect to the file share first. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong here? Let me be clear, all systems are pulling files from the share, and there are no local paths in my library. Thanks.
Enable debug logging and have a look in the log to see what XBMC is trying to play. If the file is something like smb://server/share/etc it should play on all platforms. If you have a path like \\server\share\etc I don't think this will play on non-Windows platforms.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Debug_log for how to get at the debug log.

JR
What version of OS X are you running? Lion has major SMB issues.
I see the smb://server/share/path name in the information screen for the file, and I did a query on the path table in the database (I'm familiar with mysql) and it has the smb:// path in there.

I have not upgraded to Lion yet but thanks for the warning because my upgrade was imminent (within days).

Perhaps this should be in OS/X specific support.. would there be anything that would cause OS/X to not be able to open a file by that link? I find OS/X handling of samba shares really confusing, I always connect to to them with the 'Connect to server..' menu selection and that point enter my Samba ID and password and shares I want to mount. I expect OS/X should handle the files properly after that, like Windows does.

In Windows I just make sure I connect to a share and enter my credentials before I use XBMC and everything works afterwards. I don't want to enter my credentials into the OS permanently or into XBMC.