Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I use a Centon Cable Card Tuner in a Linux build and stream to multiple tv's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have been hunting for the specific answers I need before I begin a build for a few weeks now and I am just confused.

I would ideally like to buy the Ceton IfinityTV tuner and get a cable card from Comcast.

My ideal scenario would be a linux build that allows me to independently tune any of the 4 tuners from 3 different tv's. I would have 1 main HTPC with all of my storage and the tuner and then 2 smaller extender type pc's to receive content in other rooms.

First let me say I know this is possible with WMC (but the extender game is pretty weak and even if I was willing to buy a couple of xbox's I would have to pay for xbox live just for netflix which drives me bonkers)

I just can't figure out from my reading if I can do this with linux/xbmc/mythtv setups.

My Want List
  • PVR
  • Extenders in other rooms (with LiveTV)
  • Integrated platform for DVD, BlueRay, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, PVR, LiveTV, Random Media Content
  • All extenders support the same feature set as the main htpc

I know this post is a bit disjointed and I apologize for that. I am more than happy to clarify any points to try and get to a resolution. I am not money limited persay but don't really want to use an xbox as an extender
I have similar questions since I have not been able to find suitable answers anywhere. I just recently built an htpc and installed ubuntu. I installed XBMC and can play dvd's, stream web content like Amazon prime. After I get this running to my satisfaction, I intend to build an extender for my living room and bedroom. Very similar to what it sounds like you are interested in doing. My primary interest is in hooking up the cable from my provider (Optimum). Their support offered little help but they will rent me a card for 2 dollars a month. They have no idea of what OS supports it other than windows(XP,VA,W7? who knows, "but they don't see why it wouldn't work"). I am really interested in spending some money on this, but I don't want to get nickel and dimed to death buying the wrong equipment. Hopefully some one has some concrete information to help move in the right direction. If you have any links you would like to share I would be interested in sharing what I have found.
I believe that you must use Windows Media Center with a cable card tuner if you want to record anything other than the unencrypted QAM channels (i.e. anything other than the local broadcast channels in most cases). It's one of the few pieces of software certified for cablecard use, as it includes the required DRM. That DRM will also make it harder to watch the video in a whole house setup, although I think some windows media extenders work with that DRM.