Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] ASRock330/ION Ubuntu 11.04 - I need sound over HDMI through receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok peeps. I've been looking through hundreds of posts and nothing has worked for me so far. I have a simple setup. Ubuntu 11.04, XBMC PRE-11.0 (Sep 28 2011), an ASRock ION330 and an Onkyo SR-507 or something like that.

What do I have to do to get audio working over HDMI? I've unmuted the SPDIF's through the alsamixer command (only mic and line are muted). I've set the following settings in XBMC:
Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Dolby Digital Capable: yes
DTS capable: yes
Audio Output Device: hdmi (ALSA)
Passtrough Output Device: hdmi (ALSA)

In Ubutu the sound work properly. In XBMC it constantly says 'Failed to initialize audio device".

I replaced some configuration files from ALSA.
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Surely this isn't rocket science and should be easily doable. Some help please? I feel dumb :x

edit:
Followed this tutorial. Still no luck.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...controller

The test (speaker-test -D hdmi -c6 -r19200 -FS32_LE) gives surround sound though. And if I open XBMC and let it idle in the menu it says resource busy during the test.

edit2:
I removed XBMC 11 pre and installed XBMC 10.1 through the maverick PPA. If I adjust the audio settings to:
Audio Output Device: Internal Audio Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI)
Passthrough Output Device: hdmi

I do in fact get sound in my SD movies (mp3 codec etc). But I want audio on my highdef movies as well. And actually ... I prefer the 11 pre version as well. But as a test I guess it was succesful. If I use the custom audio devices (hdmi:CARD=NVidia) it doesn"t work either.
Hi There !

I had the same problem as you. What worked for me was:

1:
Remove the pulseaudio.
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

2: Create a .asoundrc in you homedir. In my case:

root@xbmc:/home/xbmc# more .asoundrc
pcm.!spdif {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "spdif"
}
}

Hope it works for you as well!

BR
Tilly
OMG!!! Thank you so much :p It works!! For HD & SD content as well. Thx Smile

For people suffering from the same issue: You have to restart for the changes to take effect and uninstall is actually remove. Set the devices to hdmi et voila. Sound!
I don't use HDMI but had the same issue as here with the Eden FINAL version. Using SPDIF/Optical, which i am using and the the iec958 profiles i could get sound in everything (aka the menu clicks when you're scrolling, xfce,kde) but not in video/music. Using the .asoundrc above i got sound in videos/music working but now i've lost the menu clicks lol

Whats odd is im using the XBMCbuntu version and while thats changed a bit i had all this working out the box almost (cept for changing the XBMC settings) with XBMCLive.

It's late and i was looking for a quick fix so i can watch something, gonna have to check the differences between my old .asoundrc (after eden install) and the one posted on this page.

So far XBMCbuntu is turning out to be a pain compared to XBMCLive, might have to move back to a full distro, or at least the 10.1 version of XBMCLive for now.

Edit: lol moved back to a full distro, Eden still seems to be having issues, i can play music and videos within any desktop UI but the second xbmc does it says it bails.
Here's something even better - the original ION in the Asrock has a channel mapping problem so most movie dialogue was coming from my rear left surround speaker. I followed this old Wiki and it worked perfectly for me on XBMCbuntu Eden: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ON_(linux)
(2012-04-04, 09:22)Anastrophe Wrote: [ -> ]Here's something even better - the original ION in the Asrock has a channel mapping problem so most movie dialogue was coming from my rear left surround speaker. I followed this old Wiki and it worked perfectly for me on XBMCbuntu Eden: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ON_(linux)

While great if channels are mismapped, i dont think myself, or any of the above have had this problem, so its really not "even better". Seeing as i know how to chop and change bk in linux i will put ur sketchy asound.rc to the test....brb

Edit: Actually having read over it, this wont sort any of the above problems. its purely remaping streams, the only thing that might be of use is the menu sounds section. Unless you have the exact config/speaker setup etc as the person in the link above (7.1 with audio coming out of the wrong sides) this will be a lost cause. If you do try it, make sure to back up your old config just incase. If you don't know where that is you should def not be trying this.
Well as they say, it worked for me - with the default install I had menu sounds and normal TV Show/Movie sounds - but an AAC and 5.1 stuff had only background (surround sound) channels (no right/left or centre channel) on my Onkyo amps. That wiki post fixed it for me.

Since the topic of this thread is "I need sound over HDMI through receiver", I still think it's a valid post, especially since the OP was messing with asound.rc etc.

edit: plus I don't have 7.1, I'm using 5.1 and it still works for me.
Sorry if this is completely in the wrong area - but I am hoping the solution may be similar?
In my latest attempt to get linux working on this box I have spent 2 weeks trying to resolve this issue. I am really at a loss how to fix it!

I have the ASRock Vision 3d 137B. Everything seems to work fine, except the audio...

Having trawled the wiki's and help guides and I have been able to establish that aplay can play a .wav in 5.1 surround through the attached monitor.

I have been able to determine that my NVidia GPU which manages hdmi sound is Card 1, sound is played through device 7.

Adding the .asoundrc file (hw:1,7) and setting the sound in XBMC to HDMI and default has enabled menu sounds.

However, when I try to play any media I get no sound, this also seems to disable the menu sound until I reboot...

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful.