Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Standalone Video Player to compliment XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Want to get a stand-alone video player that has the capabilities as that of XBMC. I want to keep this video player along with XBMC on my hard drive so when I bring it to friends' and family's house, I can choose to install XBMC on their PC or just run the stand-alone video player on their PC.

Obviously this would need to come with a bunch of codecs (as XBMC does) and be able to play MKV and similar type files.

Thanks everyone.
I'd suggest VLC player.
have u tried vlc ?
No I have not tried VLC. Does it contain the same (or similar) codecs as XBMC to allow me to play all of the files? Does it require installation or can it just be run?
it has alot of codecs haven't come across anything it wouldn't play yet, yes you have to install it
So doing a bit of reading, what about VLC Portable? It does not require any installation which would be perfect for sharing with friends and family.
why not install it and see if it meets your needs?
the best freeware media player is mpc-hc because it can playback full 1080p video with dts-hd/truehd audio too.