Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Geexbox vs. Openelec
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GeeXboX and Openelec both are dedicated, lightweight Linux distributions, to serve as a Media OS. Since v2, GeeXboX is using XBMC as their Mediaplayer.

Does anyone know differences between those distributions?
can't say for GeeXboX but openelec is running very very smooth and they have great support .

i am using it on 2 machines and it is close to perfect. i am even running the latest pre-eden and it's very very smooth
I also cannot say anything about GeeXboX as its the first time i have heard about it.
OpenELEC works wonderfully for me, no issues or complaints.
And setting it up has great support!

+1 for OpenELEC

Also just looked up GeeXboX and it looks like its running older versions of XBMC, as in Dharma, where you can get Eden on OpenELEC if you chose Smile
openelec is officially supported in here.
+1 for OpenELEC. As stated it's officially supported, and it has more features then geexbox.

In short OpenELEC is better in these areas cause of:
-Close development with the xbmc team.
-Close development with other projects to solve bugs, create patchs etc. Not just for OpenELEC, but for linux users in general.
-OpenELEC helps donating hardware to developers and other projects to add support for new devices.
-It's aim is to be as small and easy to use as possible.

Go download:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Geexbox simply copies OpenELEC's patches to include xbmc in their distro.
My own experiences with openelec are also great. The only disadvantage (for me) is that the OS partition is read-only. Off course, the build system is open source but it sure isn't easy to build a writable version yourself.

On the other hand, people who just need an HTPC appliance can benefit greatly from this readonly approach.

I don't know how GeeXboX works. If I have time I'll try it out and report back...

@newphreak: I agree with your view on openelec. But GeeXboX claims that openelec is a fork of GeeXboX while sraue claims he has build openelec from the ground up.

As a project, GeeXboX is alive for quite some time already while Openelec is new and doesn't have more than one regular committer. But Sraue is working very hard and I believe he will make Openelec a successful and lasting project.
Robotica Wrote:@newphreak: I agree with your view on openelec. But GeeXboX claims that openelec is a fork of GeeXboX while sraue claims he has build openelec from the ground up.

OpenELEC uses geexbox's old buildsystem (a checkout around 4-5 years ago). Many stuff was removed (while openbricks/geexbox have changed the buildsystem completly to make it much harder to use/understand) also all packages, which i have build from ground up. No one ask about the buildsystem, for the user it doesnt matter too. The choice for using geexbox's buildsystem was only because i have looked for a easy one to start with the main development without messing with harder buildsystems. It really doesnt matter if i use geexboxs buildsystem, buildroot, openembedded or others - its a tool and toy for me and devs - the product is created from me (and some other devs). (not every distro using RPM packagemanager is a fork of Redhat).

Robotica Wrote:As a project, GeeXboX is alive for quite some time already while Openelec is new and doesn't have more than one regular committer. But Sraue is working very hard and I believe he will make Openelec a successful and lasting project.

yes geexbox was known to have a light an simple own mediacenter, later they used Enna until they had from one hour to another no more interst in this. so they have included MythTV, Boxee, Freevo, XBMC, together with Enna and two other mediacenters within some days/weeks end of last year (and yes the XBMC packages/patches comes nearly 1:1 from OpenELEC - so the Boxee patches too). Why? no idea... there is no work on the other mediacenters since some months... they uses XBMC as the main mediacenter now... maybe because its more easy to look at openelec for solutions except working together with a community. dont know... for me it looks a bit like they dont have a goal - and if they would have the same goal like openelec it makes no sense to have 2 embedded mediacenter distros with the same mediacenter... there is one for XBMC, there is one for MythTV, why not stick with Enna (a nice mediacenter for slow devices) or use Freevo or whatever...
Lately, I tried Mythbuntu and I really like it. So if you like a full featured GUI with browser (unlike Openelec.tv) this is a very solid option.
I'm using OpenELEC on x64 system and works perfect. On the other hand GeexBox supports i.MX6 CPU systems (such as cubox).

In my opinion OpenElec seems more serious than geexbox.

OpenElec has great support and upgrade.

I prefer OpenElec
Did you notice you're replying to a 3 year old thread ? Smile