Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV1] Can I trick XBMC and swap a network HDD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm upgrading my media drive to a larger size and was wondering if I fully copy all data (including invisibles) to a new larger HDD and name it the exact same thing as the original one - will the change go unnoticed?

The other options are -
1) Export, then Import back the library/scrapers etc. - this never once worked out for me in past attempts...(probably because I didn't know what I was doing! ha ha)

2) Rescan the entire new HDD all over again after going in and wiping out everything in - /Users/frontrow/library/Application\ Support/XBMC

Lastly - if I CAN trick/swap the HDD - what are the odds of renaming the HDD (Or directory) and having XBMC follow?
XBMC will be indifferent, if you backup and restore to the same place, it will not care. You can even symlink and put it somewhere else.
Thanks - as suspected, and identical copy did work - the only sticking point being the volume name. I had actually named the HDD something else entirely - but the old name still shows up in the path.

It's probably not worth mucking around since it's working - but it is annoying.
can I simply edit it in the sources.xml?
Found here - frontrow/library/applicationsupport/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

If it looks like this -
<source>
<name>MediaOne.Five-H.264</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://FADS2B94CE/MEDIAONE_FIVE/H.264/</path>
</source>

Where the old drive was "MEDIAONE_FIVE" and - It's now called "MEDIATWO"
I can obviously change it in there and save back over the existing file. What's a concern though is - it's currently still finding this new HDD even though it has already been renamed in OSX Finder. Can I rename the HDD in XBMC so it won't lose the path, and continue on working as is?

Not sure why, despite renaming it in OSX Finder, the HDD is still seen as the old volume name - unless it's somewhere in the "invisible" data of the exact clone I made. I can see those too - but not sure what to edit - and don't want to risk blowing out the working library as it has a lot of customizations. (Of course I can always save a backup!)

FWIW I'm hooked in over SMB via a Seagate Dockstar.