Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best iPhone app for aTV2 XBMC control?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, how do you control your xbmc on atv?

Im trying to use my iphone but the apps seem to not work with the ios version of xbmc. Ive tried XBMC commander which from the reviews looked to be the best as well as all the free ones. Is this my fault for setting up something wrong or is the ios xbmc not compatible with these applications? I can control xbmc fine via its web interface from a browser.

Im also looking into getting a IR remote but i think iphone control would be much coolerCool
You need to make sure that you allow other applications to connect/control XBMC. I think it's under network settings in XBMC. I use the official XBMC remote app for android and it works like a charm.
It's not that it's the iOS version, but that it's the pre-Eden version which is affecting all platforms. As Eden is now under a soft freeze, with betas coming out sometime soon, the developers of the remote apps are more likely to update their iPhone/Android apps now that the changes have stabilized. In other words, keep an eye out for updates from the App Store, as they should be coming soon.
i'm using the latest nightlies and the best remote imho is remote.app ... it's free, and it's now supported, and it's the same remote that i use for when i'm on the native apple tv interface too =)
I've been using Rowmote Pro for a while now. There is a client baked into the NitoTV installer that lets you control the ATV very well from its corresponding phone app. (http://atv2.wikidot.com/nitotv - a random site with good install instructions; there is a wiki too)

The remote is a standard and simple digital equivalent of the AppleTV remote, and if you turn your phone landscape, a touch pad and full keyboard swap in. Simples! Nod

edit: as threatdisplay above says, Apple's own Remote app is very good too, however, over wireless, I find it takes a while flapping about over re-connecting if your phone goes to sleep. It's a minor annoyance that does grow. Remote Pro can be set to 'sleep' your phone when placed face down on a surface, waking immediately when picked up. Sorry to sound like a shill reading back - it's just my experiences thus far..
You guys don't know what you're missing. Those are all fine and good too, but some of the XBMC iOS and Android remotes are pretty snazzy. Direct youtube search and play, direct browsing of the library with cover art and summaries, controls for music without turning the TV on, and more.
Iviewer is soon coming out with a plugin for XBMC, and you can use iviewer to control anything, i use for my home theater, my automation, lightning, ...
1 app for everything, that's TOP!
Ned Scott Wrote:You guys don't know what you're missing. Those are all fine and good too, but some of the XBMC iOS and Android remotes are pretty snazzy. Direct youtube search and play, direct browsing of the library with cover art and summaries, controls for music without turning the TV on, and more.

agree that they are snazzy. i have a couple ios remotes installed (xbmc commander and constellation, which i like best over the two) . there's one on my ipad that is pretty neat to look at and use (constellation), but for daily use, where i know what i want to watch and just want to swipe to it and click on, the atv2 remote is great, and if i happen to be in bed and my remote is on my desk, i just reach for remote.app on my phone or ipad.
Thanks for the input guys,

For the moment im using my awesome universal remote that came with my amplifier. It has different mode buttons on the top and then can learn any IR command and map it to any button for each mode.

Apart from the "im in bed/comfy on the couch with my phone closer then the remote" reason, i dont think ill ever use an phone app to achieve the same functionality as an IR remote control. You need an IR remote to control your sound anyway(and turn your TV on)

I really liked the screenshots of library views some of the apps in the app store have. If anybody knows of an app that lets you scroll through all your content on your iphone/ipad and works with the newest nightlies - let me knowSmile. I think this is the only thing that would drive me to put down the remote and pick up an iDevice. I have an old ipod touch that i think could permanently live near the TV and function as a great interactive remote control.
I have used XBMC remote and really liked it. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc-remo...16916?mt=8
Another vote for Rowmote. I think the best thing about it and what makes it unique among the other remotes is the ability to see what is being displayed onscreen.

For example, sometimes I park the kids in front of their favorite educational video while I try to get some work done upstairs. I can use Rowmote to navigate the ATV2 GUI remotely, seeing what's happening on screen. Caveat is, if a movie is playing...the video is not going to be smooth. But outside of a playing movie, it works really well.

Also, you can call up the keyboard to quickly do text input. The Apple Remote app can't be used to input text within XBMC. Because there's no way that I know of to bring up the keyboard.
Also using Rowmote for some time know.

Really liking the interface and the extras in the Pro version.
I really like XBMC Constellation. It is free (w/ads). But, it is a good way to try it out and if you like it you can get the "Pro" app with no ads for .99. There is also XBMC Commander and it is nice also. I used to use it but have since moved to XBMC Constellation. You will see people on this forum rave about both. Really, it is about your tastes and which GUI you like better. There is no free version for XBMC Commander but the iphone version is .99 and the ipad version is $3.99. Although, both apps are nice on the iphone. They REALLY come into their own on an ipad. I use XBMC constellation on my ipad to navigate and control my ATV2. I find it MUCH, MUCH faster and intuitive to use XBMC Constellation then trying to use the Apple remote and XBMC GUI on the ATV2 which is to me is too slow on the ATV2.

Plus, you have a virtual keyboard in the apps which makes it real easy to enter text when you need to (e.g. defining sources, searching for content, etc.) Also, bringing up the in video menu to control things like subtitles or viewing detailed decoding information is much easier with the virtual keyboard. With either of the apps, there is no need in trying to get a bluetooth keyboard set up on the ATV2 as an example. Of course, people with HTPC will already have a keyboard so this point is somewhat moot. But, even then it could make you coffee table that much less cluttered when using XBMC.
another thumbs up for XBMC Constellation. Got it on ipad and iphone. Works really nicely
I'd like to use Constellation too but it keeps crashing on my old 3G.

You guys don't experience crashes at all?
Pages: 1 2