Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Harmony 700 + XBMC on Windows 7 + questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys

Sorry for being new here and coming on straight out with questions..

I am a Media Portal user who has come over to XBMC. The remote works fine apart from on the Play, Stop, Pause elements.
Is there a way to re-program the inputs?

I have it set up in the Harmony software as a Media Center PC remote.

Also, do you know how to set up XBMC as a service? I use FireDaemon Trinity but when it tries running XBMC, XBMC crashes. Works fine for Sickbeard, CouchPotato and SABNZBD.

Once last thing - when I use LogMeIn to access the MedaPC when XBMC is loaded, the screen is black and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del it to close it. Any workarounds or other programs I can use so the overlay works?

Thanks!

James
There are two different software packages for the Harmony, one online and another that you can download. Use the downlaodable package.
For your remote, you have it set up as a MCE KEYBOARD. After that you need to 'add activity' ie 'watch a movie' etc. I've set my 'watch a movie' button to turn on the TV & AVR (htpc always on).
Now, under Activity click on... it's something like 'set buttons' I can't remember exactly but it's obvious. That will open a screen where you can match your button presses on your remote with commands. In the wiki there is a list of all the keyboard commands and their functions.
eg. 'P' is Play so you set your play button to send the keypress 'p'

There are several threads on setting up the Harmony but actually it was as simple as the above for me.
Thanks Outatouch - will give that a go! Big Grin
Re the remote: the key thing is what receiver you are using since the Harmony just emulates whatever handset normally goes with the receiver. From your post I'd guess it's an eHome receiver, in which case install the MCERemote add-on (in the Programs section), open the add-on, select "Apply current configuration" and restart Windows. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how this works.

You can't run XBMC as a service.

LogMeIn, VNC, etc, usually don't work with XBMC. You might get it to work if you go to System settings, System, Video and enable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen". However note that this will slow video rendering.

JR
Hmmm still having problems - it looks like it is just the play/pause buttons that dont work.
I tried following:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...armony+700

But there are no images :/
I followed Outatouch's way and it works great now Smile

One thing, I have an Onkyo amp which switches the HDMI channels on the amp.
So when I press Watch TV, it turns the amp off, Sky on and the right channel... but in the background the media PC is still on.

If I switch back to the Media PC, XBMC is minimized. How can I stop this?

Thanks!
WildWayz Wrote:One thing, I have an Onkyo amp which switches the HDMI channels on the amp.
So when I press Watch TV, it turns the amp off, Sky on and the right channel... but in the background the media PC is still on.
If I switch back to the Media PC, XBMC is minimized. How can I stop this?
Please clarify what you mean exactly 'switches the HDMI channels on the amp'
Do you mean HDMI-1, HDMI-2, etc input channels?

Sky is your sat/cable provider? The amp gets turned off... because you are using only the TV speakers when you watch TV? If so why not use the stereo/surround speakers?

What happens if you set it to leave the amp on when you switch over to watching TV?
A workaround until a solution is found: shutdown xbmc before switching over to watching TV. Set a keyboard shortcut to launch/start xbmc. Set the keyboard shortcut to a button on your Harmony. (I use F7 and set the 'red' button to this). Reloading xbmc should not take too terribly long.

There is recent/current thread on the subject of xbmc minimizing. JR is helping the OP chase it down. See if you can find that thread.
thanks - think I found the problem.

When I switch from MediaPC to Sky ie go from Watch a Movie to Watch TV, the amp turns off and I am using the TV with the Sky Box (not through amp now).
However, when I am accessing the Sky Box (Sat tv), the IR receiver on the MediaPC is reacting to the button presses on the Sky bit!

This means that when I go back into MediaPC, it is half way into a movie that it is now playing! lol

Is there a way to program the remote to open XBMC when I click Watch a Movie and close it when I click Watch TV as well as do the other macro bits?

Can't use the red, green, blue, yello buttons as they control Sky.

Thanks!
outatouch0 Wrote:There are two different software packages for the Harmony, one online and another that you can download. Use the downlaodable package.

Unfortunately I have only been able to find one downloadable file on Logitech's site (LogitechHarmonyRemote7.7.0-WIN-x86.exe). It contains an application that then configures my remote online (the app just basically loads webpages to setup the remote).

Is there another application I'm missing?
I believe that is the right software Nod

I go into a bit more detail in another post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=909...stcount=24
I used EventGhost to fix the problem... but...
It was a pain. When I pressed "Watch TV" I could see the same Event listed on the left for the button press.

However, when I press Watch A Movie, it shows random button IDs! Added about 6 to the list which is set to open XBMC and now it works!

Weird!
outatouch0 Wrote:That will open a screen where you can match your button presses on your remote with commands. In the wiki there is a list of all the keyboard commands and their functions.
eg. 'P' is Play so you set your play button to send the keypress 'p'

There are several threads on setting up the Harmony but actually it was as simple as the above for me.

I can't see anywhere in the button customisation where you can select individual keyboard keys.....any ideas? I have WMCE commands and ALT+# etc... but individual characters....
alect Wrote:I can't see anywhere in the button customisation where you can select individual keyboard keys.....any ideas? I have WMCE commands and ALT+# etc... but individual characters....

Where are you looking? Are you talking about Logitec Harmony software and setting up a Harmony remote?

Did you look at this post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=909...stcount=24
outatouch0 Wrote:Where are you looking? Are you talking about Logitec Harmony software and setting up a Harmony remote?

Did you look at this post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=909...stcount=24

Yes looking at the Harmony software.

I figured out that I have to use the MCE Keyboard device (in the Watch Media Activity I am using). So then clearly for a button I can specify MCE Keyboard and D (for eg).

But I have two problems:
  • it's not working - when I send C the Context menu is not popping up
  • the WMC is being started up when i press that Activity button - I don't want to start the WMC - I just want to use the MCE keyboard to send commands to XBMC
It would seem to me then, something is wrong in the setup. I would wipe it and start from scratch at the begining.
ALSO, I think before anyone can help you further you probably need to post the complete information on your setup. It is near impossible to troubleshoot in the dark.
Lastly, You might do better with getting help from more people by starting your own thread rather than tagging on to the end of an older one. Nod
Pages: 1 2