Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] Problems with Juddering/stuttering Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone please help me with this as it's driving me mad!

I have a custom built HTPC based around an Asus AT3IONT-L Deluxe with a 60GB SSD (split into two 30GB partitions) and 4 GB of memory, running XBMC live 10.1 from the SSD. When I watch any video of any resolution I get a judder/stutter every two-three minutes or less where the video stops for less than a second but the sound continues uninterrupted and then the video catches back up to the sound. I have eliminated the network, media server, media and hardware, as this problem does not occur with the same hardware and connectivity when I run XBMC under Windows 7, nor does it happen with an LG BD390 connected to the same ethernet cable - all watching the same media.

I have tried the advice given

Howto achieve judder free perfectly synced playback.

(http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068)

i.e. I ran the script, but this made no difference.

I watched an episode of the Sopranos (S03E01 - Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood.avi) for about 25 minutes with logging set to DEBUG and have uploaded it to
http://pastebin.com/izfn6y4p

Can anyone see what the problem might be as I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks,

Madmike 1415.
Looks like your system is running without hardware acceleration. Have you enabled vdpau in the gui settings?
I've tried hardware acceleration but this makes no diference to the problem AFAICT.
Why two partitions?
madmike1415 Wrote:I've tried hardware acceleration but this makes no diference to the problem AFAICT.

It does make a difference in trying to track this problem down. Could you pastbin a log with hw acceleration enabled?
Jetster Wrote:Why two partitions?

To be able to dual boot XBMC live and Windows 7.

Quote:It does make a difference in trying to track this problem down. Could you pastbin a log with hw acceleration enabled?

Ok thanks, I'll do that this weekend.
OK so I enabled hardware acceleration and captured a log watching the second half of The Sopranos - S03E01 - Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood.avi (I deleted all lines before the entry where the video was selected as pastebin complained about the size). Having previously said that VDPAU made no difference, it did appear (albeit with a sample of one half of a TV episode) to be less pronounced a problem (i.e. less frequent) but still present. The pastebin ed file can be seen at

http://pastebin.com/kpvfTXBK

I'd be interested to know what you are looking for as I'd like to be able to understand these logs a bit more than I do at the moment.

Many thanks.
Just watched a few more shows with hardware accelerated and it doesn't look any better than without after all - any thoughts on the logs?

Thanks.
Still no hw acceleration. For MPEG4 you have to enable vdpau in advanced settings, video section: allowmpeg4vdpau

I need to find out why.
FernetMenta Wrote:Still no hw acceleration. For MPEG4 you have to enable vdpau in advanced settings, video section: allowmpeg4vdpau

I need to find out why.

OK I have added this to advancedsettings.xml remotely and will watch a file and post logs this evening. One question, when I went into advancedsettings.xml the only entries already there were

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

is it normal to have such a small file by default?

Ta.
OK so now I watched "The Sopranos - S03E03 - Fortunate Son.avi" making sure that I had hardware acceleration (VDPAU) enabled in settings...video...playback and also set

<allowmpeg4vdpau>true</allowmpeg4vdpau>

in the video section of advancedsettings.xml. The pastebin file with the relevant debug can be found at

http://pastebin.com/tusi74f4

Third time lucky ;-)

Thanks.
The good news first:
vdpau decoder capabilities show up in the log

The bad news:
Your GPU does not support MPEG4 decoding and the system falls back to software decoding.
So are you saying that because it doesn't support hardware acceleration for Mpeg4 I'm doomed forever to have stuttering with Mpeg4 video? Why don't I see this problem when running XBMC under Windows 7 then? Surely if the same file on the same hardware doesn't suffer under Windows 7 then this would point at a software/driver issue?
Come to think of it, XBMC on my original XBox can play these files without stuttering.
Quote:So are you saying that because it doesn't support hardware acceleration for Mpeg4 I'm doomed forever to have stuttering with Mpeg4 video?
No, I am not saying this. I just started investigation at some point which is often the cause for those kind of problems. In your case the resolution of the video is so low that sw decoder should be able to deal with it.

You logs are very hard to read because there are many messages from addons. Can you disable all addons and provide another log? It might also be the case that your addons interfere with video playback. Currently we have no thread priorities on Linux.
Pages: 1 2