Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: X not writing XOrg.0.log
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I just noticed that X is not writing logs to XOrg.0.log, or anywhere else. If I run X myself from the command line - it does write a log.

I am trying to update xorg.conf with the proper settings to get the correct framerates on playback - and not having the log file makes this difficult.

I was wondering if it was a permission issue - with the user who calls X not have write permission. I did a chmod 777 but that didn't solve it.

Any ideas on why would be much appreciated.

== I am running the latest pre-eden on Ubuntu 11.04, after upgrading from the XBMC-LIVE 10.1 available on the main site. So it probably got botched while doing the distribution updgrades. Everything else works flawlessly and the upgrades went smooth.
What video chipset?
Where are you looking for the log file?
What exactly are you trying to do?
Nvidia chipset. I am looking at /var/log/xorg.0.log.

I want to see what x is dropping to the log file so I can get the correct modelines in my xorg.conf.

Thanks!
Hmm, just checked my ATV install of XBMC and the Xorg.0.log file is where it should be. What does ls -l show for /var/log? What are the file permissions for /var/log/xorg.0.log? Mine's showing as only root having write permissions.

Not sure what the problem is, just kind of shooting in the dark. You could always try removing and reinstalling X (not the best suggestion, I know).
I did a chmod of 777 so, it looks like this:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 539 2011-10-17 00:44 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I was thinking about re-installing X. Is it as simple as an apt-get install x or am I going to get myself into something really hairy?

I did see that the latest pre-eden has an option change the refresh rate inside of XBMC itself. I wonder if that option accomplishes the same thing at this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068 ?
To reinstall you'd perform and apt-get remove x and then a reinstall. If you just perform an apt-get install x, if it's already at the latest version, it won't do anything. As for the permissions on the file, only root should have write access.
SOLVED - Discovered (by looking at ~/.xession-errors) ..

(++) Log file: "/tmp/Xorg.0.xbmc.log", Time: Thu Oct 20 23:50:37 2011

So the log file was unexpectedly located in /tmp instead of /var/log