Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: EDEN Questions..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey!

I have some very basic questions. I was not able to find answers in the forum.
  • Is the coming Eden downloaded from the following location: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/ ? If not, where to get it?

• Is the current working skins gonna work in Eden? I'm thinking about the Alaska skin?

• How stable is the current Eden? (Crashes during normal movie watch)

• How is the navigations speed in Eden compared to Dharma? Ex. Menu navigation, fast coverflow scrolling?

Further more i tried to search the forum for this question. Maybe some of you got an straght forward answer. The menu navigation / fast coverflow scrolling, what hardware is the bottleneck in this proces? Is it CPU or GFX? I'm not sure if XBMC is executed on the CPU or GPU..
1. Those are pre-Eden builds, but basically "yes". Eden will enter beta sometime soon and sometime before the end of the year we will have the actual release of Eden.

2. Some work, some don't. Alaska Revisited works. Original Alaska does not. Check the skin support forum and you will likely find what's being worked on or not.

3. Pretty stable. Right now they are in a feature freeze, so only bug fixes are going on, and I rarely have a crash durning playback.

4. Eden's GUI is much faster.
^ are there any changes to the internal player itself?

I have an odd issue where every now and then I get a very slight stutter/jerk in the video when watching my 1:1 blu-ray rips with FLAC HD audio.

Have not been find able the cause/resloution of the issue and am hoping that my problem will disappear in Eden. Smile
rasmuskarlsen Wrote:Further more i tried to search the forum for this question. Maybe some of you got an straght forward answer. The menu navigation / fast coverflow scrolling, what hardware is the bottleneck in this proces? Is it CPU or GFX? I'm not sure if XBMC is executed on the CPU or GPU..
To answer your last question:
Generally the bottleneck in this case is the HDD, neither CPU or GPU (or even RAM). Also - the GUI currently is rather slow to begin with, Eden will change that.

Edit:
Just saw your answer:
Can you specify your PC-Components? The jitter/stutter is generally an issue with either your HDD being to slow (or - to clarify this statement - the hdd being turned off and needs to start spinning again) or the GPU.
HenryFord Wrote:To answer your last question:
Edit:
Just saw your answer:
Can you specify your PC-Components? The jitter/stutter is generally an issue with either your HDD being to slow (or - to clarify this statement - the hdd being turned off and needs to start spinning again) or the GPU.

I am assuming this is directed at me and not the OP?

i am using an radeon 5xxx. I honestly don't remember what cpu I have and can't check right now. But I know hardware is not the issue. cpu usage is never more than 20%. Plus movies play fine using mpc-hc (which is what I am currently using as an external player), so doubt it is hard drives.

For more info on my issue:

See this post and the my subsequent ones in same thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=914...stcount=37
Mhm, that is a tricky one... so the stutter doesn't occur when you are using the external player but only within XBMC? What video-settings did you specify?

(To answer your first question: I didn't notice that you and the OP aren't the same person in the first place Wink )

Edit:
Now that you mention it, I use a HD5xxx as well and it also causes some insignificant jitters from time to time... they are rare and more often than not I don't bother, but there is def. an issue somewhere - I would call it a driver-issue...
HenryFord Wrote:Mhm, that is a tricky one... so the stutter doesn't occur when you are using the external player but only within XBMC? What video-settings did you specify?

(To answer your first question: I didn't notice that you and the OP aren't the same person in the first place Wink )

Edit:
Now that you mention it, I use a HD5xxx as well and it also causes some insignificant jitters from time to time... they are rare and more often than not I don't bother, but there is def. an issue somewhere - I would call it a driver-issue...

Correct, stutter only with internal player. The stutter is 'insignificant' in that my wife and kids don't notice (or at least mention) it. Probably only a frame or 2 stutter. But it bugs me to no end. It is not frequent, but I wouldn't say rare. It has been a while since using the internal player, but if I had to guess I'd say in happens between 5 and 15 times a movie.

The settings I was running - I tried many combinations (quote from other post):

"So, now that I am home, I checked what my settings were. They are exactly like the 1st setting ashlar suggested:

Adjust Display Refresh to match video, activate Sync playback to display and use Video Clock (Drop/Dupe Audio). I also have dxva and vsync on.

So I guess I am somewhat disappointed by this as I was hoping it was just an issue of me not having something setup right.

So with this setting I am seeing that slight stutter/jerk once in awhile.

My audio output is set to wasapi realtek hdmi (video card is a radeon 5xxx).

maybe I will see if my video card has new drivers. Hopefully between that and eden, my problem will go away."

Given that this only happens in xbmc, not sure if it still could be a vid card driver issue or not.
Ned Scott Wrote:1. Those are pre-Eden builds, but basically "yes". Eden will enter beta sometime soon and sometime before the end of the year we will have the actual release of Eden.

2. Some work, some don't. Alaska Revisited works. Original Alaska does not. Check the skin support forum and you will likely find what's being worked on or not.

3. Pretty stable. Right now they are in a feature freeze, so only bug fixes are going on, and I rarely have a crash durning playback.

4. Eden's GUI is much faster.

Sounds great. How about the Live version? Is this also running stable? Further more i have stumbled upon "Openelec", is this compatible with the current pre-Eden builds?
HenryFord Wrote:To answer your last question:

Quote:Further more i tried to search the forum for this question. Maybe some of you got an straght forward answer. The menu navigation / fast coverflow scrolling, what hardware is the bottleneck in this proces? Is it CPU or GFX? I'm not sure if XBMC is executed on the CPU or GPU..
Generally the bottleneck in this case is the HDD, neither CPU or GPU (or even RAM). Also - the GUI currently is rather slow to begin with, Eden will change that.

Are there any officially requirements for XBMC?

Ex. If i plan to run all my movies on the GFX (Ex DXVA), then the cpu should have little impact regarding the smoothnes of movie playback.

But where is the "GUI smoothness" performance linked to? Is this most demanding for the CPU or GFX? (Based on mounting an SSD HDD for XBMC)
gui is cpu intensive compared to hw decoded video. that being said, an atom does fine..
spiff Wrote:gui is cpu intensive compared to hw decoded video. that being said, an atom does fine..

Allright. Currently i have lags using an Intel E8400 3Ghz CPU. But i haven't mounted the SSD Yet, and running Windows 7, with XBMC, on an 4 year old HDD. It's basically just the covers which loads really slow, during fast scrolling in "cowerflow" mode / Landscape mode in Alaska.

I hope to adress the problem to the HDD, and not discover that XBMC is to demanding for my current setup - for the fast scrolling in coverflow mode, without any lack (I wan't XBMC to show covers instant, without any lack. I don't want it like now, so when i use fast scroll and then stop scrolling, all the icons is white and first loaded completely after 0,5 - 1 sek..)
I think it is indeed your HDD - I run an full-blown gaming-tower with a Phenom II x6 and a radeon HD5870. That being said - if I use my system on the normal harddrives it lags exactly the way you describe. If I use my SSD however, I do not experience anything in this direction.
i'm using the july version of pre-eden, and you can find it in my guide here- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd. i'm able to natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and bd index.bdmv on bd-rom in full 1080p video with dts-hd and truehd audio fine. i'm using hd5xxx card too. my cpu (e7200) is less than powerful, and i don't have stuttering issue. the playback stuttering usually cause by gpu, and cpu is mostly use for gui in xbmc.

if you haven't update the latest ati catalyst control panel, you can download it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you can select smooth playback option in catalyst conter panel.

you can select "high performance" power option in windows control panel too!
we are not talking about playback-issues here...
HenryFord Wrote:I think it is indeed your HDD - I run an full-blown gaming-tower with a Phenom II x6 and a radeon HD5870. That being said - if I use my system on the normal harddrives it lags exactly the way you describe. If I use my SSD however, I do not experience anything in this direction.

Allright, i will indeed try to install XBMC on my SSD disk then. It sounds really easy to fix, if the SSD can fix this issue.

bluray Wrote:i'm using the july version of pre-eden, and you can find it in my guide here- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd. i'm able to natively playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and bd index.bdmv on bd-rom in full 1080p video with dts-hd and truehd audio fine. i'm using hd5xxx card too. my cpu (e7200) is less than powerful, and i don't have stuttering issue. the playback stuttering usually cause by gpu, and cpu is mostly use for gui in xbmc.

if you haven't update the latest ati catalyst control panel, you can download it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you can select smooth playback option in catalyst conter panel.

you can select "high performance" power option in windows control panel too!

Allright thanks for the guide. Though my reciever is very old, and only spports DTS. So this is not needed right now, but hopefully in the future Smile But my questions was mainly regarding GUI issues, not playback issues.

Since you are running an pre-eden, do you know if this is available for XBMC live or Openelec? (Would prefer Openelec, i have read many good things about this build)
Pages: 1 2