Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC are just black in the morning. need restart.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I upgraded my Ubuntu to 11.04 and start running a nightly build pre eden I have some problems.

The biggest thing is that my lirc/remote doesn't work after sleep, but that's not the problem I want help with here. (Unless you know what I should do..)

Since my sleep doesn't work, I let my HTPC stay awake when I self go to sleep.

But almost every morning it's just black on my TV. Sometimes, it's just that XBMC has crashed, and I'm back to the desktop, and I need to move the mouse to see the desktop.

But like today, I can with putty from another computer see that xbmc is still running, but it's just black.

If I kill the process, the black disappear and I see my desktop. And after that, I can restart XBMC and everything is normal.

Please help me. This is the log from tonight. About 3,7mb. (This time with no psw's I think....)

http://home.bip.net/soder15/xbmc.log

/Söder
i edited your post, you were showing your privates..
spiff Wrote:i edited your post, you were showing your privates..

Thanks. Found that line and removed it...

/Söder
Not sure if this helps but I had same problem and I thought it was due to a plugin that was trying to update and got back an invalid or unexpected response and "killed xbmc".

Try this for 1 night:
Edit /etc/hosts
add:
127.0.0.1 github.com

save it

how does it look 24 hr later?
If no difference (still black) - remove the line for /etc/hosts
atari800 Wrote:Not sure if this helps but I had same problem and I thought it was due to a plugin that was trying to update and got back an invalid or unexpected response and "killed xbmc".

Try this for 1 night:
Edit /etc/hosts
add:
127.0.0.1 github.com

save it

how does it look 24 hr later?
If no difference (still black) - remove the line for /etc/hosts

Nope, that didn't work. Was still black this morning. =( Or should I've rebooted?

/Söder
Yeah, It has to do something with the add-ons.

This night I had the HTPC shut down. Right now, I started the HTPC, and I started XBMC. About 5 seconds after it was started, there was an popup saying that XBMC subtitles add-on was updated. 2 seconds later it all just went black.

Just the way it normally is when I start the TV in the morning after letting the HTPC and XBMC being turned on during the night..

Solution?

/Söder
I actually just started having the same thing happen myself for no apparent reason. Before I could leave it on all the time, now, screen goes black.

If I SSH into the machine, I can restart the XBMC service, but video frame rate seems to be getting choppier over time now, which is also new and inexplicable.

UPDATE:

I've noticed my skin I use, Rapier...listing Update available. Running the update causes black screen immediately. Uninstalled Rapier. Reinstalled from the Add-Ons menu...installation fails.
Check the APM settings in bios.
It has nothing to do with a shutdown or sleep. It's something with the automatic update of the add-ons. There was no problem for before I went for the pre eden.

/Söder
I'm 100% sure it has to do with the download/update of a new skin (Aeon Nox svn).

I'm running pre eded with Aeon Nox SVN as skin, and tonight my XBMC was shut down. I just started XBMC, and went in to the add-on's, and I could see that the skin was updating.

When it reached 100% my XBMC just went black.

/Söder
A workaround would be to turn off auto update until the stable Eden comes.
System->Add-ons and bring up the menu on the left.
Cribbe6 Wrote:A workaround would be to turn off auto update until the stable Eden comes.
System->Add-ons and bring up the menu on the left.

Will try that. Thanks..

/Söder