Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No back button or OK button on MCE remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and the latest XBMC stable release.

I have the HP RC-6 remote and IR receiver.

LIRC is running perfectly and IRW reports the BACK and OK buttons reporting perfectly as well.

000000037ff07bdc 01 KEY_BACK mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 00 KEY_OK mceusb

So......

Why doesn't XBMC respond to these commands from my remote? All other commands DO work, just OK and the BACK button fail to work in XBMC.

Any help is appreciated!

Mike
im also having this problem all other buttons seem to work but these two
Hi

Same problem to me.
New installation:
Ubuntu 11.10
XBMC PRE-11.0

On Asus eee ION EB1012p with original MCE USB Receiver and Remote.

Lots of buttons are not working like OK and Back.
Navigating LEFT, RIGHT... works. Huh

Any help or hint is apreciated. Smile
Thanks
its because the more recent LIRC versions have changed the key definitions. For it to work with XBMC, for those keys, LIRC needs to report BACK and OK to XBMC. So you should see BACK and OK from irw.

You have three choices.

1. Create a modded Lircmap.xml in your .xbmc/userdata (not sure I got name right), changing under mceusb

<select>OK</select> to <select>KEY_OK</select> and
<back>Back</back> to <back>KEY_BACK</back>

You can find the default xbmc Lircmap.xml file in /usr/share/xbmc/system if I recall correctly.

2. Modify LIRC file /etc/lirc/lircd.conf I believe it is.
By default LIRC will be configured to include a file from the path and file indicated in that file. copy that file to /etc/lirc, modify it, rename it lircd.conf and change KEY_OK to OK and KEY_BACK to BACK. (I might have some of the file names wrong, I'm at a win7 system right now without easy access to a linux system).

3. Dump LIRC all together. With more recent kernels it is possible to run MCE remotes without LIRC by using the drivers builtin to the kernal. There's a bit of work involved and I'll be posting a how-to when I have a chance.

Now that said, virtually all the keys in LIRC have been changed to KEY_something. So if you were purely using LIRC, the MCE remote shouldn't work at all. So I think that you both LIRC and the kernel driver working (in possible conflict) right now. I believe that XBMC is currently getting the keys from the kernel through SDL not from LIRC. If this is the case (1) and
(2) will likely lead to double key presses, one from LIRC and one from the kernel for every remote button press. I believe this to be because when I started reconfiguring my system without LIRC, many of the MCE remote keys worked, but OK and BACK did not. So likely you need to either you need to disable the kernel driver for (1) and (2) (google that), or go with (3) when I post the how-to. There are some posts on option (3), but I found I had to do more to get it fully working.

EDIT: Take a look at this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112649 for (1), but still think you end up with double key presses for some keys and still need to blacklist the kernel MCEUSB driver to avoid that, or go with option (3)
Hi wstewart

Thank you, that was a great help. I lost hours searching, and trying... Confused
It's working now with the new Lircmap.xml. Big Grin
Hi wstewart, any news about you how-to? Smile I'm trying to achieve just what you said. I already have remote working, just not the OK and BACK buttons... I don't want to install LIRC as I already have Ubuntu 11.10 with latest kernels which recognize the remote perfectly.

I ran:
Code:
sudo ir-keytable -t

to test the remote and I get the KEY_OK and KEY_EXIT events when I press the OK and BACK buttons respectively. I have a Hauppauge 45 button remote...

Looking forward to your how-to guide as this is the only thing I am missing from my XBMC install Smile

EDIT: BTW, when running sudo ir-keytable I got this:
Code:
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event4) with:
    Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
    Enabled protocols: RC-6
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

Hope you can help me out Smile
Sorry my parents were town, so haven't had time. I'll try to do it this weekend.
Ran in to the same issue, fixed it like this.
(2018-04-08, 21:43)zimou13 Wrote: [ -> ]let's see Lucky Patcher

No, see the forum piracy policy (wiki).

Consider this a warning not to post links to such crap here or you'll earn yourself a ban.

Actually seeing what you've done in your post history, we don't want you here - goodbye.