Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To the normal user hashes don't mean much. I don't think we need to display them anywhere. The way the updater works is it first looks for a .git folder inside Marashino (only available if installed with git). If a .git folder is found it will attempt to use git to get the current version and store it in a Version.txt folder. The updater then compares the hash in the Version.txt against the latest commit hash on github. If the hash in version.txt is older than the hash on github it will tell u that updates are available.

If no .git folder is found maraschino has no way of knowing what version(hash) it currently is. So on first run for people who have downloaded Marashino from zip/tarball. maraschino 'should' tell the user it doesn't know what version it is and ask them to run the updater. By running the updater it gets the latest hash and stores it in the version.txt. It then knows what version it is and can start checking for updates.

The bug when the updater was first released was the default value was 'up to date'. So even tho it didn't know what version it was. It would still respond up to date.

If u think the updater is not working. The first thing u should look for is the version.txt. It must exist for the updater to check for updates.

I hope this clears a few things up.

(2012-06-27, 04:50)N3MIS15 Wrote: [ -> ]If no .git folder is found maraschino has no way of knowing what version(hash) it currently is. So on first run for people who have downloaded Marashino from zip/tarball.
So in these scenario's -

1. If Git's not installed, say on Windows and you have downloaded the Zip file and just run it, does it still find and download that latest zip in this case?
2. Git for Windows is installed - but the Zip was downloaded and run. The updater will use Git to clone the latest version?

So, if your on Windows and the updater is not working, this or this should be installed to repair it?
git on windows is not supported.
windows will always download the zip and overwrite the existing install
As XBMC is undergoing some architectual changes, Marachino (and other WEB GUI's and potantially also i.e. Android Apps) will become an more important way of controlling XBMC.

The main changes, are to start a minimal XBMC main app (see: ) which is able to start all kind of services (other parts of xbmc). This means more efficient code and less use of system resources (memory, CPU, HD space). This is also the start of making libraries of the most important parts of XBMC. But this is a major task which should be managed step-by-step (like TopFS visionizedSmile. This also could greatly improve unit testing and more importantly easier integration with other software project/products .
First usage scenario is probably XBMC as a primary and headless backend for assisting in managing your media metadata. This means you can start a light version (mainly JSON-API, database, scraping and logging and some other basic stuff while keeping out as much as dependencies as possible).

First steps are made by bladesUK (see: https://github.com/theuni/xbmc/tree/shared-lib) and resulted in a proof of concept. He hacked a GUI-less XBMC version which is able to scrape and store the retrieved metadata. But users have to setup xbmc in an unfriendly manner:
- edit XML files or
- configure an Eden install on an other PC and copy config files/userdata/ profile.
- Use a profile and turn everything of you don't need: RSS, upnp, etc.

This headless approach got things rolling and now a server approach is being worked on by TheUni. He fixed the same issues related to use the scrapers GUI-less (See: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/916) while the database is accessible and writable. Besides, he created a way to start a different set of libraries on top of a minimal XBMC instance (see: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1049); this is the more mature implementation to solve the headless xbmc problem while giving flexibility for future improvements.

Now progressing toward a library approach for different parts of XBMC, the next step will be to compile a headless XBMC for metadata handling.

I believe this is great news for web-GUI's like Marachino and XWMM. If Marachino is able to do the basic setup for this headless server version of XBMC, more users could be involved in testing this headless setup. Test users simply can compile TheUni development tree and use Marachino to set things up. For this purpose Marachino needs to be able to edit xml files and store them. Or, XBMC settings can be set via the JSON-api. In that case, Montelesse needs to adjust the JSON-api to facilitate this.

Either way, this should be possible:
- configure/ enable the webserver;
- setup scrapers and sources;
- setup settings via JSON (or edit xml files (like sources.xml, guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml) and store them);
- Install Addon Service LibraryAutoUpdate (addon Manager needs to be hooked into this service model to feed items into the db)
- Start the database service

To test this, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1128746
edit: nevermind. fixed it.
I have a security cameras that I can access via .strm files. It would be kinda cool if there was a module in Maraschino that let me see these files. I generally have my laptop/iPad in the living room when I'm watching a show. I can access the .strm file from XBMC, but then I have to stop what I'm watching. Would be cool to have a popup window in Maraschino so I could see who is at the door without interrupting my show.

Definitely not a high priority, but something that might be a nice added bonus.
My Maraschino has stopped working. I did a git pull a few nights ago and it doesn't seem to work now. Not sure where to start in fixing it.

ETA: Okay, I've fixed it now by readding the maraschino.bat as a service.

I haven't done steps 3, 4 & 5 in the new instructions and I'm still running on Port 7000, do I need to do those steps?
You can run with Maraschino.py --port 1234

Or change the port in the web ui (top right menu)
It all seems to be working now, I just updated to the latest git, used anyserviceinstaller to make the bat a service and now it works. Are steps 3,4 & 5 in the guide necessary or should I just leave it as it is?
The guide on the homepage is for Linux. If its working I would just leave it.

I will write up a guide for windows over the weekend to try and stop the confusion.
Anyone tried it on OpenELEC lately? The last time i tried it didn't worked, it look like it couldn't find some dependencies.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1129124
i think its fixed. not 100% sure tho
I just wanted to say a big thank you to MrK, Gugahoi, N3MISI5, DeJaVu and Mikie for making Maraschino the amazing application it is today. Having been away for a few months I can see that everyone has been putting a lot of thought, time and effort into Maraschino, if I thought it was amazing back then, it is truly wonderful right now.

Thanks again!!
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Shaolin
(2012-06-29, 16:53)Shaolin Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to say a big thank you to MrK, Gugahoi, N3MISI5, DeJaVu and Mikie for making Maraschino the amazing application it is today. Having been away for a few months I can see that everyone has been putting a lot of thought, time and effort into Maraschino, if I thought it was amazing back then, it is truly wonderful right now.

Thanks again!!
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Shaolin

Im sure I speak for all when I say we appreciate the feedback! Stay tuned for some more awesome updates in the coming weeks!
I'm certainly looking forward to your Couchpotato module and N3MISI5's Headphones module!

I absolutely love the updater!