Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: pre-eden: recent compile having issues with NFS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Running openelec on a couple machines. Was running an xbmc compile from the 16th and updated my openelec yesterday and it is now running an xbmc compile from a couple days ago (Git:cfa1a05).

All my shares are using NFS and now seeing something strange where the NFS shares only work sometimes.

When they arent accessible, I see this in the logs:

Code:
ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/user/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "")

Here you can see where it did mount and then just stopped:

Code:
root ~/.xbmc/temp # more xbmc.log | grep NFS
15:37:52 T:139957697869568   DEBUG: NFS: Connected to server 192.168.27.50 and export /mnt/user/Movies (chunks: r/w 262144/32768)
15:37:57 T:139957599647488   DEBUG: CFileNFS::Open - opened mnt/user/Movies/HD/PG/9.2009.1080p.bluray.x264/9.2009.1080p.bluray.x264.mkv
15:38:06 T:139957599647488   DEBUG: CFileNFS::Close closing file mnt/user/Movies/HD/PG/9.2009.1080p.bluray.x264/9.2009.1080p.bluray.x264.mkv
15:38:19 T:139957716891392   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/user/tv (mount/mnt call failed with "")
15:38:19 T:139957716891392   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/user/tv (mount/mnt call failed with "")
15:38:23 T:139957750462208   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/user/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "")
15:38:23 T:139957750462208   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /mnt/user/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "")

Both boxes running this are seeing the same thing. They server is unraid using the following for exports option, (ro,insecure)

http://pastebin.com/zUMg18XD
Same issue here. NFS is REALLY not playing nice at all.

Not sure if it's just openelec or not -- I think my ATV2 box is also not playing along well with the NFS shares.

I was trying NFS out because I was seeing some stuttering on my Apple 2 XBMC box which is connected through powerline ethernet. Also heard NFS was much faster.

Think I'll be switching back to SMB for a while.
Same issues here - and see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112050

I am not sure if it's hanewin that's the issue. What servers are you using?

My exports looks like this:
F:\Movie Library 01" -name:MovieLibrary01 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"G:\Movie Library 02" -name:MovieLibrary02 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"M:\Movie Library 08" -name:MovieLibrary08 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"H:\TV Library 03" -name:TVLibrary03 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"I:\TV Library 04" -name:TVLibrary04 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"J:\TV Library 05" -name:TVLibrary05 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"L:\TV Library 07" -name:TVLibrary07 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
K:\ -name:Store06 -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
K:\Thumbnails -name:Thumbnails -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"E:\Photos and Home Videos\Photo Library\Fast Album" -name:FastAlbum -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"K:\Music Library" -name:MusicLibrary -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody
"K:\Kids Stuff" -name:KidsStuff -public -alldirs -mapall:nobody

....I just added the 'alldirs' and 'mapall' stuff in an attempt to fix, but no progress.

I can connect to the first share and list one directory and after that it all falls over....
Note - exactly the same directories mounted in, say, openelec via netmount.conf, or on ubuntu via mount, work fine. So there's no general issue.
@ bossanova808

but Openelec isn't using netmount.conf anymore on pre-eden.

so there needs to be another way....
Yep I know, hence why I am researching this - but you can use a manual mount in autostart.sh I think, as an alternative to internal XBMC nfs which doesn't seem ready for prime time yet (mind you, Eden isn't released so not that surprising really!)
The thing is, it was working fine for me on openelec using an xbmc combile from mid October but now it is doing this behavior. Wondering if something has changed and not sure whether it is openelec or xbmc.
Well, given it's struggling under Windows too, my money is on XBMC here.

Or - Are you using hanewin as the server? Maybe it's Hanewin, although I have used that for years and found it rock solid.
My server I'm using is unraid so it's linux based

In my server syslog I'm seeing this even when its not working:

Code:
Oct 30 19:20:17 Media02 mountd[5311]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.27.48:200 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Oct 30 19:20:28 Media02 mountd[5311]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.27.48:200 for /mnt/user/tv (/mnt/user/tv)
Oct 30 19:20:46 Media02 last message repeated 10 times
Oct 30 19:21:03 Media02 mountd[5311]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.27.48:200 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Oct 30 19:21:17 Media02 last message repeated 13 times

and here are the mounts on my server:

Code:
Oct 30 19:40:31 Media02 emhttp: shcmd (30): echo \"/mnt/user/Movies\" '-async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=100' '*(ro,insecure)' >>/etc/exports (Other emhttp)
Oct 30 19:40:31 Media02 emhttp: shcmd (31): echo \"/mnt/user/Music\" '-async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=103' '*(ro,insecure)' >>/etc/exports (Other emhttp)
Oct 30 19:40:31 Media02 emhttp: shcmd (32): echo \"/mnt/user/tv\" '-async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=101' '*(ro,insecure)' >>/etc/exports (Other emhttp)
Hmm ok scratch that theory.

There's clearly a few different errors going on....
Anyone else using NFS in xbmc for media shares and seeing the same behavior in recent nightlies?
Yes, I'm also using Openelec pre-Eden (the intel x64 build) and are experiencing the same thing with newer builds than r8499. My NFS server is running Debian Squeeze.
I actually have a similar issue with NFS running the Oct 27 build but I have not really had the time to do any proper troubleshooting so the problem report is a bit rough. I use MySQL and SMB with a bunch of clients so the NFS conversion will be a bit painful if not done carefully.

I had previously used NFS by mounting my Media share at the OS level on a Linux version a while back, but moved to SMB when I added some ATV2 clients. Now that NFS is included for everything I thought I'd try it again.

I have a Synology NAS and followed the recent wiki entry to setup NFS by modifying the exports file via SSH. I have all my media in one folder with three sub folders, "0. Kids Stuff", "1. TV Shows" and "2. Movies". Everything is fine when I mount the first two sources but once it tries to mount Movies it fails with similar error messages. I have tried this on to windows machines but not with my Apple TVs yet.

So my sources look something like this:
Kids Stuff @ nfs://192.168.1.90/volume1/Media/0. Kids Stuff
TV Shows@ nfs://192.168.1.90/volume1/Media/1. TV Shows
Movies @ nfs://192.168.1.90/volume1/Media/2. Movies

I can browse NFS just fine if I have no sources setup and I can map them from XBMC, but as soon as I mount the TV shows folder I can no longer browse for or mount Movies... I figured it was the fact that i was mounting to a single mount point with a few different sub directories, but I am a bit new to NFS so i cannot be sure it that is acceptable.

Renaming folders and mountpoints will be painful since it will mess up my database so i just gave up for the time being.
The issue seems to be if one has multiple nfs sources configured. Upon a fresh bootup, the first nfs share that is accessed works. If another nfs share is tried it will fail to mount. At that point all nfs shares will not mount.
gabbott Wrote:The issue seems to be if one has multiple nfs sources configured. Upon a fresh bootup, the first nfs share that is accessed works. If another nfs share is tried it will fail to mount. At that point all nfs shares will not mount.

Wow, what an awesome observation. I haven't thought of that but I bet you're right. When using just one NFS source for my Thumbnails, I'm rock solid. I wasn't seeing issues until I tried adding my video paths as NFS shares instead of MySQL that it broke down.

Totally agree that it works fine with one, but the second NFS source that breaks the entire thing. Great observation.

I haven't tried today's betas yet, but I will -- Can confirm NFS is stable with one source (Thumbnails) but it did break when adding more.
Pages: 1 2 3