Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Pre-Eden xbmc-standalone??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run (stable) xbmc-standalone in Ubuntu Lucid, I like having a desktop environment incase my GF wants to use Firefox on the TV.

I have added unstable ppa and tried to update but there is no xbmc-standalone package since 20110405. If I try to update xbmc to Pre-Eden it conflicts with xbmc-standalone and tries to remove it.

Is there a replacement for xbmc-standalone in Pre-Eden? or
Is there anyway for me to update xbmc, have it start like (current) xbmc-standalone so that I can exit XBMC and be presented with GDM (or equivalent)?

Before I get in trouble I HAVE searched forums + Google for answers to this question with no avail.

Would love some help!!

Thanks TheCapt.
There is no more standalone..
wilson.joe Wrote:There is no more standalone..

Is that a permanent thing, do you have an info-source?

Are my options just gonna be:
1. xbmc-live without an easy route to a Desktop or
2. Desktop with XBMC as an app

any third option I cannot think of?

If not, I'm really gonna miss the xbmc-standalone package/setup!!
Check out my blog post: http://shadower16.wordpress.com/2011/10/...nightlies/

This will help you get XBMC-Live working without the standalone package and allow it to autostart.
shadower Wrote:Check out my blog post: http://shadower16.wordpress.com/2011/10/...nightlies/

This will help you get XBMC-Live working without the standalone package and allow it to autostart.

I'm afraid your misunderstanding me shadower, I was hoping NOT to use the xbmc-live type setup because I like an easy option to launch a Desktop Environment if I exit XBMC for my girlfriend!!

xbmc-standalone (with auto login) will return me to GnomeDesktopManager when I exit XBMC, an xbmc-live setup will return me to a terminal. My GF doesn't do commands!!

Thanks though!!

Any other ideas?
Possibly because Ubuntu do not use GDM anymore.
Oops my bad. Hope you find a solution
Whatever login manager is in use should allow for more than one session. Set one up as XBMC, have it autolaunch XBMC. When you exit out, you should drop back to the login manager and be able log into a desktop session.
pumkinut Wrote:Whatever login manager is in use should allow for more than one session. Set one up as XBMC, have it autolaunch XBMC. When you exit out, you should drop back to the login manager and be able log into a desktop session.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Hopefully I can get a session to launch XBMC WITHOUT launching any desktop in the background because I don't want excessive bloat behind XBMC!
That's why you would set the session up as XMBC and not GNOME or KDE or any other manager.
is startx really that hard to type?
pumkinut Wrote:That's why you would set the session up as XBMC and not GNOME or KDE or any other manager.

I thought xbmc-standalone was required to run XBMC (and XBMC only) as the session, i'll look into that now! Thanks Mate!

Hack_kid Wrote:is startx really that hard to type?

Of course it isn't, but that is not the point. As I stated in my first post this is about making my box more User(Girlfriend)-Friendly; I don't want her to have to search for the wireless keyboard to start a desktop. Thanks for such constructive help Wink
I have now seen the error of my ways!!!.......

xbmc-standalone has not been discontinued in a cancelled way, it has become part of the main XBMC package!!

There is no documentation that I could find that shows that the new (pre-eden) xbmc package allows XBMC to be chosen as a session for login!!

Previous to this; xbmc-standalone was needed to allow XBMC be run as a session!

Thanks A Million for the help, I'm chuffed to have my box updated (and still sorted for my GF)!!

The Capt.