Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Bug in OGG-Vorbis Audio-Playback / Trackchanges (NIGHTLIES! 10.1 is fine)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

just signed up because I have pretty much trouble concerning audio playback since a few weeks using the latest nightly builds...

First I want to mention that I tested this behaviour on three different systems - my HTPC, on which I just install the newer builds on top of the previous installed version (fresh start was with 10.1) and two "clean" systems that have never seen XBMC before...

They are all running on Windows 7, so I cannot say for sure that this problem doesn't exist on the other platforms as well.

OK, let me try to explain:
All my music is .ogg(-Vorbis), pretty much always encoded with the latest aoTuV-oggenc. (I mention this to make clear that i don't know if this will also occur when using other codecs.)
I added my music-root-folder as a source and added it to the library. Files are scanned (btw, there are cover.jpg / folder.jpg in every folder), library is filled. Everything fine, as it should be.

Now I go into the library, pick an album and start playing. Music plays, still everything normal.

The problem occurs when there should be a track change. On some (by far not all, I'd say on maybe 10%-15% of my files) tracks, XBMC pre-Eden does not get to make the track change. It just hangs in the last frames of the current track - I have to press next (or previous! also works for skipping to the NEXT track) to get XBMC play the next track. Pressing Play/Pause does not work. If it helps: Even if the sound stutters, the visualization does not react to it, as if there was "officially" no music playing any more while the system hangs "between the tracks".

What is pretty strange is, that this happens on the same tracks. So it's pretty much reproduceable. BUT: If I just don't let XBMC play the track from start to end without interruption, but fast-forward into the track, chances are that XBMC will make the track change one time without further problems...

I have an Album (2 CDs ripped) which has 42 Tracks, and this occurs to maybe 5 or 6 tracks, interestingly enough once XBMC reached track 12 or 13 or so, all files after that work fine.

If anyone wants a few files to try to reproduce this, I would have to upload them (into my dropbox) - the most time consuming thing is just as I said that you have to listen to the track without skipping into it, and the first track of this rip (which has this error when changing from track 1 to track 2) is around 5 minutes, so this is what it takes to check if playback / changing to the next track works...

Just to mention again: I can for sure say the files are not the problem, as they play fine everywhere. Literally everywhere. WinAmp, my old portable musicplayer (which play ogg), my Android-Phone (stock & PowerAmp Player), XBMC 10.1. All perfectly fine - just not with the nightlies. Wink

On my HTPC the sound just loops / stutters the last few samples instead of playing the next track. On my normal PC I tested this on (completely different hardware / chipset, as my HTPC is AMD based, my desktop is an Intel-System) it does not loop sounds but just hang there in silence instead of continue playing.

It is to mention that this does not occur on all files / albums. It pretty much happens "randomly", without a system I could understand, but the files where it occurs always produce this error. But from a CD I ripped in one go (so with exactly the same encoding options) it may happen to only 10% of the tracks...

I already tried copying/overwriting XBMC\system\players\paplayer from 10.1 onto my nightly-build-installation, as some (especially the vorbisfile.dll) dlls are different date / size, but even with this folder copied to the nightly build it did NOT work, so I guess the problem is not the decoding dll-file. But of course, I could be wrong as I'm not a programmer... Wink

I hope I made it somehow clear - before i decided to post this here i watched the bugtracker; but believe me - maybe it's just too late right now or I just don't understand how this thing works. So i thought, posting in the forums can't be wrong either. Wink

Hope someone will look into this, as it would be awful if this wouldn't get fixed before Eden is finished. Smile

If you - the kind developer who will look into this - need any more information, sample files or whatever: just tell me, i will keep it coming. Wink

Thanks! Smile
Just tested also with the latest XBMCSetup-20111105-595c642-master nightly, unsuccessfully...

So, some sample-files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15495314/Music.zip

Just extract the .zip-file (contains a root "Music"-folder with subfolders containing two .ogg files + cover art), go to XBMC, add the "Music" folder to your library, open library, select "Black 2011" album and just start playback.

When the first Track (4:06) is over it does simply not skip to the second one...

Maybe it's simpler to figure out what's wrong in pre-Eden this way, as posting some endlessy long logs from me would probably be not as helpful as testing it for yourself... Wink

I really hope someone fixes this, as listening music without knowing if it continues playing on each trackchange isn't as relaxing as it should be... Wink

edit: And as i said, these files work perfectly fine on every other playback system, even 10.1 plays them flawlessly. Smile
Nobody else having these issues?

Finally, i pasted a debug-info-log from the latest build (Built on Nov 8 2011 (Git:20111108-2890af7, compiler 1600)):
http://pastebin.com/Kk1ysqUH

What I did there was a fresh starting up of XBMC, directly navigating into the album-view of the music library and start playing back the album from wich the two sample-files in my post above come from...

Then, after just pressing Backspace to get back to the main-menu i just let it keep playing. After the first song is finished, it hangs and does not start playing back the second one. I then pressed "s" a few seconds later while the sound was still stuttering and repeating the last frew frames of the first track and just exit XBMC via shutdown-menu...

Anyone has an idea what's the problem here?

Thanks in advance...
FWIW I can reproduce the issue using Bassmaschine's uploaded tracks. However I'm not familiar enough with the audio code to identify the problem.

JR
Still nothing new on this one? Even in Beta 1 it does not work.

What's bugging me: I don't get the system which files won't start playing / won't let it skip to the next track. Across my library - which is all self built, self ripped (no downloads...) there are pretty many tracks where this bug occurs. Even in rips from 2006, where i used completely different encoders (still ogg vorbis, though) it happens here and there. If i "find" a track where this happens, it will always happen on this track. Sometimes it's just 1 of 40 (2 CDs with 20 Tracks each), sometimes it are 4-6 tracks, some albums play completely fine.

I still don't know what might cause this as i simply don't see any system in it. There is pretty much nothing, that the files where it does not play well have in common. No strange (unicode) characters in the filename, not always the same ripper / encoder used over the years, no extraordinary tags used (i am using the same vorbis comment tag-fields for years on every single file)...

It makes me sad somehow that i cannot use my Media Center (!) to play back the most basic Media - music - without any flaws, when every single other device i have now and i had in the past few years had absolutely not a single one issue with my files... And it even worked (or works, if i'd install the old version again) in 10.1...
this went unnoticed since it was hidden in the forums.

i cannot reproduce on linux, so seems there must be a windows component to it. will notify a win dev.
Thanks.

Just a day ago i ripped a new CD using the latest Oggenc2.87 using libVorbis v1.3.2 from rarewares.org.

As i thought, also there would be some tracks that cause the issue - and there are a lot of tracks, to be honest...

I just took some of the second of both CDs of the compilation and packed them into a .rar-file.
Here is the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15495314/Musik.rar
(30 MB, i'm uploading the file file right now so it might take a few minutes before the link gets active as my upload speed is pretty low Wink ).

Well, just extract the file and add it as a new source for your music library and scan it to your library. As explained in my previous posts, you should just start playback of the complete "Album" and do nothing else. Don't fast forward the tracks (they are pretty short this time, so you don't have to wait 5 minutes for the track change), just start playback as if you'd just like to listen to the complete album from beginning to the end.

There are 8 .ogg files, which makes 4x2 tracks which in every case don't make the skip from the first one to the corresponding following second one.

Once it "hangs" between the tracks, you can even press arrow left / previous track on your keyboard, it will continue with the next track...

These are the each two tracks that belong together...:
The Arrival -> Choice Mission
Like That -> Decompression
They Are Human -> No Longer Human
Industrial Cooking Spray -> Superfly

Just test it for yourself, i reproduced this again on three different windows-based XBMC-setups.
Bassmaschine Wrote:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15495314/Musik.rar

Well, just extract the file and add it as a new source for your music library and scan it to your library. As explained in my previous posts, you should just start playback of the complete "Album" and do nothing else. Don't fast forward the tracks (they are pretty short this time, so you don't have to wait 5 minutes for the track change), just start playback as if you'd just like to listen to the complete album from beginning to the end.

There are 8 .ogg files, which makes 4x2 tracks which in every case don't make the skip from the first one to the corresponding following second one.

Once it "hangs" between the tracks, you can even press arrow left / previous track on your keyboard, it will continue with the next track...

These are the each two tracks that belong together...:
The Arrival -> Choice Mission
Like That -> Decompression
They Are Human -> No Longer Human
Industrial Cooking Spray -> Superfly

Just test it for yourself, i reproduced this again on three different windows-based XBMC-setups.

Beta 2, still no change. Hopefully, someone fixes this - as listening to music was at least 50% of my average xbmc-usage-time (using it for background music all the time) it's really annoying not to be able to relax and listen to music without knowledge of having to run into this audio-glitch every now and then... Wink
Bump...

RC1, still not working... :/
I suspect we don't have any Windows devs working on the OGG code at the moment.

A workaround is to use DVDPlayer to play .ogg. I've just tried this with the sample files you uploaded and it works. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\playercorefactory.xml"

and click OK, and when you are asked to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="PlayOGG" filetype="ogg" player="DVDPlayer" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

This tells XBMC to use DVDPlayer rather than PAPlayer to play .ogg files.

JR
AVI files with Vorbis audio also do not work, XBMC doesn't play the audio even though it plays the video.

Windows 7/XMBC 11.0 RC2