Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Audio VERY quiet - barely audible - please help!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
XBMC in Vista is suffering from inaudible sound. What could be the problem?

Winamp plays sound normally in Windows. My USB sound card is selected and all is fine.

But when I launch into XBMC, the audio volume is only 1% of the normal sound in Windows.

The Sound options settings in the XBMC System menu provide no assistance.

Is there another way to reconfigure the XBMC volume?

Please help!
We going to need a lot more information than that. Playback setup, audio output from XBMC to where, type of files this is a problem with.
try pressing the + or = key on your keyboard
During playback go in the sound settings from the OSD and check the sound level. I had a similar issue, turned out the internal volume was around -50 dB
None of these suggestions solved the issue. However, I have now found the solution myself. The answer was found in a program called Virtual Audio Cable ("VAC").

I needed VAC for other reasons anyway; I needed to output all applications from my pc to a pair of speakers and a pair of headphones at the same time (ie two soundcards simultaneously).

To my surprise, when I configured VAC and began running it for all applications I found that it had a completely unexpected positive impact on the volume of XBMC too - its re-routed output of the XBMC volume inexplicably made it equal to all other applications.

I cannot guess why inserting VAC into the equation had an normalizing influence. Nonetheless, I am very happy to no longer have this issue.