Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Revo 3610 suddenly won't play 1080p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. All of a sudden my Acer Revo won't play 1080p content correctly. In XBMC the content (4.4GB) plays for 2 seconds then freezes, requiring a reboot. In windows 7 the image stutters throughout but does not totally freeze. I have the up-to-date nVidia driver.

I have tried playing the content of my 6 year old laptop and it runs perfectly.

Can anyone help me please? This is a really annoying problem.
Hardware acceleration turned off? XBMC set to use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen?

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Try playing a suitable test video for a few minutes then stop the video and close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in replying. I turned on the machine later on last night and the problem seems to have righted itself. 1080p is playing without any stutter. Be sure, though, that i'll return if the problem crops up again. Thanks
Hi,

So i'm back again with the same problem. XBMC crashed immediately after starting to play a 1080p file. I restarted, turned on debugging and restarted again. It crashed once again when trying to play a 1080p file.

The appdata folder mentioned above doesn't exist on my computer. I'm running the latest openelec release, so i checked to see if there was a "storage" folder, i.e. /storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log, also no such folder exists.

I'm really struggling with this one.

When running in W7 now, a 4gb 1080p file won't play right either, consistent audio but jerky video, really jerky.

Any help please?
We need to see the log file. I don't have OpenElec installed so I can't tell you where to find the log. You could try asking in the Linux forum http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52

If you want me to have a look at the Win7 playback here's how to find the log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Play the problem video for a minute or so then stop XBMC.

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:We need to see the log file. I don't have OpenElec installed so I can't tell you where to find the log. You could try asking in the Linux forum http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52

If you want me to have a look at the Win7 playback here's how to find the log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Play the problem video for a minute or so then stop XBMC.

JR

Thanks for replying again but as i said above, no appdata folder exists, not when i type the above in the run dialog box, nor when i attempt to navigate to it.

I believe OpenElec debugs are stored at /storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log, but again, the folder doesn't exist on the computer.

I think it might (only a guess) have something to do with the "adjust refresh rate to display" option. It may work when that is disabled.
You could try the debug log add-on. It should be in the main repo.
Ned Scott Wrote:You could try the debug log add-on. It should be in the main repo.

Thanks. I'll go take a look at that now.
Hi again. This problem has cropped up again. I am almost sure it's connected to the "set display to refresh rate" setting. Here is the pastebin link. The movie i was trying to watch was Batman Begins in 720p; so you can easily search this to find the problem. I don't know how to work out the error myself from the log.

I'd really appreciate some help with this issue, thanks.
The error is:

Code:
ERROR: VDPAU Device Preempted - attempting recovery
ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error: The display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.(2) at VDPAU.cpp:1303

However I don't know enough about the Linux playback code to know what this means. Can you post a log from the Win7 machine?

Later: some searching of the forum suggests that one cause can be the amount of video memory allocated in the BIOS settings. Go into the BIOS and check that the memory allocated for video is set to 512MB.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The error is:

Code:
ERROR: VDPAU Device Preempted - attempting recovery
ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error: The display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.(2) at VDPAU.cpp:1303

However I don't know enough about the Linux playback code to know what this means. Can you post a log from the Win7 machine?

Later: some searching of the forum suggests that one cause can be the amount of video memory allocated in the BIOS settings. Go into the BIOS and check that the memory allocated for video is set to 512MB.

JR

Thanks for your help. Under "Advanced Chipset Features" there is a "UMA Frame Buffer Size" with Auto, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB and 512MB. Is this the setting I have to change?
gnolan Wrote:Thanks for your help. Under "Advanced Chipset Features" there is a "UMA Frame Buffer Size" with Auto, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB and 512MB. Is this the setting I have to change?

I'm not sure, but try it and see.

JR