Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: movies won't stay in library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my movies listed in two different folders /kid's movies and /movies, both are sources in xbmc libarary. For some reason not all of the movies in the folder /kid's movies appear in my library. For example, if I change the name of the movie Astro Boy.m4v, it will scan into my library for a few days, but then the next time I look for it, I have to go under the file structure to find it. if I change the name again, it will readd to the library for a while then disappear again. A few of the movies in this folder do this over and over, but not all of them, and they all have the same naming structure and scrape correct metadata. Anybody ever had a similar experience?
The usual reason for stuff disappearing from the library is if you have XBMC configured to update the library at startup and clean the library after an update. If for any reason XBMC can't find a file, e.g. if the network is temporarily down, the clean will remove that file from the library.

JR
Thanks for the answer, so should I not have xbmc do an update everytime I restart? Also, I'm not aware of the network going down and I have email alerts to my phone. I usually add media every morning while the computer and xbmc are sleeping, and when I get in at night I crank up the mac mini and open xbmc which updates and adds the new material. When I say that xbmc can't find it in library, I don't mean it can't link to the file, I mean that the data (screenshots, fanart, title) whole she-bang are like they were never added, not added then unlinked.

I probably should have explained better yesterday, thanks for your attention anyway.
The problem, assuming it really is the problem, is the clean not the update. You have two options:

1. don't do an update and clean on startup

2. don't do a clean automatically after the update

Actually it's quite hard to do option 2 by accident as you can only enable the cleanonupdate by creating an advancedsettings.xml. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...library.3E for details. unless you've done this the library would only be cleaned if you go to System settings, Video, Library and select "Clean library".

JR
I don't think it's cleaning upon updating because sometimes when I change filenames to enable better scraping, I have to clean manually to remove the old movie listing, even after restart. I've never gone into advanced settings.
I'm noticing the same problem with mine. No auto cleaning happening here either. It's always the same, frequently watched, movies. I have to rename them to get them to rescan.
rene Wrote:I'm noticing the same problem with mine. No auto cleaning happening here either. It's always the same, frequently watched, movies. I have to rename them to get them to rescan.

Are you sure you just don't have "Hide Watched" set?
Quote:Are you sure you just don't have "Hide Watched" set?
Good point! It's caught me out before.
Hide Watched wasn't set, but as I discovered in another thread there's an issue with the "Night" skin I was using.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=953263&postcount=7
Even if 'Hide Watched' is not set in your current skin it's worth switching to Confluence and checking if it's set there. It solved a similar problem I was having.

Steve