Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No DTS/Dolby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got my home cinema system today to replace the sound from my TV which was terrible. It's DTS compatible as far as I can tell.

I've got XBMC running on Windows with an nVidia 580 connected to the home cinema system which connects to the TV. They're both 2011 Panasonic so they should work together nicely, Windows still sees the HDMI device as a Panasonic TV.

I can get sound through XBMC however when I play anything in DTS or Dolby Digital XBMC generates an error saying it can't initialise the device and I get no sound.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be doing to get this fixed?
Quartermass Wrote:I got my home cinema system today to replace the sound from my TV which was terrible. It's DTS compatible as far as I can tell.

I've got XBMC running on Windows with an nVidia 580 connected to the home cinema system which connects to the TV. They're both 2011 Panasonic so they should work together nicely, Windows still sees the HDMI device as a Panasonic TV.

I can get sound through XBMC however when I play anything in DTS or Dolby Digital XBMC generates an error saying it can't initialise the device and I get no sound.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be doing to get this fixed?

You could try changing it to display "default device" in xbmc..

Then ensure (in your windows sound settings in control panel) that you have selected your nvidia hdmi as your main sound output (some have multiple options) as when one is disconnected (when you changed your equipment) it can default back to optical or analog etc and/or not initiate the hdmi device correctly upon boot.

Then update your NVIDIA hdmi audio drivers to the latest version... Available on their website.

Then once you see that the NVIDIA hdmi is your default device, and that xbmc is showing "default device" in the menu... go into the control panel, select sound properties, select the nvidia hdmi device and enter the configuration section and ensure you follow the speaker setup wizard etc as this will test those speakers.

Then go nto properties and check the settings for hdmi audio such as sample rate (I set mine to 24/96) and I also disable "enhancements" as I do not want these options. I also ensure that exclusive mode etc are checked.

Other than that, I could/would suggest that checking in your home cinema settings/menu for passthrough etc..
Ensure that your home cinema amp not set to pass through audio to the tv, make sure it's set to output at/from the AVR (for some reason my Denon defaults to tv Huh)

Try this and if non of the above works we can try some other options Nod but they are all a good place to start Smile
I had tried most of that already, but I've just managed to get it working by connecting the HDMI cables in a different way.

I knew that the TV passed audio to the speakers, which is why the speakers were working fine with everything, however they didn't work fine with digtal stuff... So it seems I have to connect XBMC directly to the speakers, and have them connect to the TV.

Sadly that means I can't connect my bluray player to the speakers, only to the TV as there's only one input on the speakers.

So it seems the TB won't pass dolby stuff to the speakers, but the speakers will pass the video signal to the TV.
the best way to get the best pq/aq is by connecting it this way- htpc>avr>hdtv via two hdmi cables.
Quartermass Wrote:I've got XBMC running on Windows with an nVidia 580 connected to the home cinema system which connects to the TV. They're both 2011 Panasonic so they should work together nicely, Windows still sees the HDMI device as a Panasonic TV.

Quartermass Wrote:I had tried most of that already, but I've just managed to get it working by connecting the HDMI cables in a different way.
So it seems I have to connect XBMC directly to the speakers, and have them connect to the tv.

That sounds like it's exactly the same?
In your first post you said you connected the PC to the AVR and then onto to the tv... See first quote?

Then your second post you say you changed the wiring so that the pc connects to the AVR and then onto the tv? See second quote?

In your last sentence you say:
Quote:So it seems the TB won't pass dolby stuff to the speakers, but the speakers will pass the video signal to the TV.
Can you connect an optical cable from the back of your tv into the back of the home cinema? That way you can still pass digital content to your home cinema from your tv... By the sounds of it your not using an AVR as it only has 1 hdmi in and you refer to it as "speakers" so if it has no optical input then this option is void.
I certainly was not clear in my first post. I meant that it was connected to the home cinema system through the television - but I agree it looks like I had said something differently. At that point it hadn't entered my head to connect XBMC to the Home Cinema system and that to the TV.

Now that I have changed the way it connects everything works as far as XBMC, the TV and DTS etc.

Bluray - You're correct and that's the way I've had it since I reported success in my second post in this thread.

As far as the optical thing I don't know if I'd lose function if I did that.

It's a Sound bar + wireless subwoofer, that has passthrough and CEC etc etc.

If I turn off the TV it'll turn off the sound bar and the subwoofer will automatically go into standby. If I turn on the TV it'll connect to the sound bar and use that rather than it's own speakers, the volume up and down on the remote are sent to the sound bar, so it integrates very well indeed, to the point where I can forget about the sound bar and it functions as part of the TV.

There are optical inputs, however I'm certain that's not going to work. The TV seems unable to pass a DTS signal, so even if I did connect it by optical to the sound bar it's not going to fix that.
Quartermass Wrote:Bluray - You're correct and that's the way I've had it since I reported success in my second post in this thread.
if you got it to work, i'm happy for you. enjoy it!

Quartermass Wrote:The TV seems unable to pass a DTS signal, so even if I did connect it by optical to the sound bar it's not going to fix that.
most older hdtv can only do 2.0!
Quote:I certainly was not clear in my first post. I meant that it was connected to the home cinema system through the television - but I agree it looks like I had said something differently. At that point it hadn't entered my head to connect XBMC to the Home Cinema system and that to the TV.

Yea, as you can see you actually said it was connected to the AVR then onto the TV on both occasions, hence that never came into question Nod

Quartermass Wrote:There are optical inputs, however I'm certain that's not going to work. The TV seems unable to pass a DTS signal, so even if I did connect it by optical to the sound bar it's not going to fix that.

If your TV is a 2011 HDTV that doesn't pass DTS/Dolby via optical I'd return it Laugh

There are 47" LED passive 3D 1080p tv's currently on sale for £500 and 2D version for £379 and they cover all the formats for modern home cinema viewing.
It would seem strange for a manufacturer to build a tv in 2011 that is a HDTV, put hdmi and optical on it but not allow it to pass DTS (I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it's very rare) are you sure your tv can not pass DTS etc via it's optical connection?

By connecting your TV to your sound bar (via optical) at least means that you can watch your bluray player, xbox, ps3 (whatever) with dts quality sound and normal tv etc through the soundbar.. As by the sound of your current setup only your HTPC is connected to your sound bar meaning it won't work for all other devices Oo

When using your HTPC (which is plugged into the only hdmi on the back of the sound bar) it will/should switch to the input coming from the active hdmi or optical or allow to switch it manually via e sound bar remote... If not you can always disable the output of the tv on the tv remote.

The panasonic BFT800 seems to be able to do this, if yours is similar. If not at least you've hot your HTPC working... And that's a least a step in the right direction Nod
bluray Wrote:if you got it to work, i'm happy for you. enjoy it!

most older hdtv can only do 2.0!

He says the TV is a 2011 model and the sound bar is 2011 also... It would be weird if panasonic neglected to add DTS compatibility on a 2011 HDMI/Opticle enabled HDTV designed to work with a 7.1 (virtual) DTS/Dolby (TruHD/Master Audio etc) capable sound bar (according to Panasonic's website) Oo

That's based on my assumption that he is using this
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Pr...kInfo=true

As it seems to be the only 2011 sound bar on their website with a wireless sub etc.

Anyway, he's up and running with his HTPC so I'm sure thats cool for now Smile
Quartermass Wrote:They're both 2011 Panasonic so they should work together nicely, Windows still sees the HDMI device as a Panasonic TV.
Just to be clear, what are the models of your hdtv and soundbar?
Ah, I didn't realise optical was as complex as that, I had assumed it was just sound data rather than being able to pass DTS etc. I don't believe I've ever seen an optical cable. Smile

However I had assumed that if my TV couldn't take the DTS signal from XBMC and send it to the sound bar then it wouldn't send it via optical either.. but perhaps I should assume less... Smile

I should also say that Windows now sees the HDMI device as 11SP_AMP, which for some reason is what the HTB520 calls itself.

Lack of Blu-ray isn't a big deal in all honesty, the player came free with the TV (DMP-BD75) and while I do have less than a dozen Blu rays I find XBMC much more convenient. I may even give the Blu Ray player away.

TX-P42G30B
SC-HTB520
Quartermass Wrote:Ah, I didn't realise optical was as complex as that, I had assumed it was just sound data rather than being able to pass DTS etc. I don't believe I've ever seen an optical cable. Smile

However I had assumed that if my TV couldn't take the DTS signal from XBMC and send it to the sound bar then it wouldn't send it via optical either.. but perhaps I should assume less... Smile

I should also say that Windows now sees the HDMI device as 11SP_AMP, which for some reason is what the HTB520 calls itself.

Lack of Blu-ray isn't a big deal in all honesty, the player came free with the TV (DMP-BD75) and while I do have less than a dozen Blu rays I find XBMC much more convenient. I may even give the Blu Ray player away.

TX-P42G30B
SC-HTB520

Hi,

Looking at the specs of your TV it does/will pass DTS (bitstreamed) via an opticle cable to an ecternal decoder and will also decode DTS 2.0 to the analog speakers.

Your TV supports (DTS2.0/DTS Digital Output) ... This means your TV can pass a "bitstream" DTS Core (5.1) to an external "receiver/decoder" (in your case your soundbar for it to decode) as well as downmix a DTS 2.0 to stereo over the LR analogue output/TV Speakers.

The difference in audio quality of HDMI/Opticle while using XBMC as a player is 0%... This is becuase currently XBMC only "offically supports" DTS/AC3/PCM and no HD codecs as yet. Therefore your Opticle can do all you need at exactly the same quality as HDMI. Unless you use the unoffical, buggy, unsupported AE version that BR will no doubt mention... However it does not work sucessfully for all and most are now choosing an external player until AE support is offically included at a later date.

So, the upshot is ...This means any device you connect to your TV (such as your XBOX 360) can be connected (via opticle to the soundbar) allowing you to play your games in DTS 5.1, which, will be decoded by your sound bar.

This will give you much better quality than an analog signal or a stereo signal coming out of your TV speakers.

This is true for all devices connected to your TV via HDMI or its Optical in, that support all the major formats EXCEPT Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS HD (as opticle cant pass those formats, but as Xbox 360/XBMC/Wii/SKYHD etc don't support these formats either, it shouldn't be a big deal)

Hope that helps Smile
It's best that I check I've undestood you since I've made a few mistakes already.

If I connect XBMC to my TV by HDMI, and my TV to my Soundbar by Opitcal and my Sounbar to my TV by HDMI, and my Bluray player to my Soundbar by HDMI... then both XBMC and the Bluray player will be able to send DTS to the Soundbar to decode?

I don't have an Xbox, however the PC that runs XBMC is also my gaming PC so it could send DTS in the same way that XBMC does.
Quartermass Wrote:It's best that I check I've undestood you since I've made a few mistakes already.

If I connect XBMC to my TV by HDMI, and my TV to my Soundbar by Opitcal and my Sounbar to my TV by HDMI, and my Bluray player to my Soundbar by HDMI... then both XBMC and the Bluray player will be able to send DTS to the Soundbar to decode?

I don't have an Xbox, however the PC that runs XBMC is also my gaming PC so it could send DTS in the same way that XBMC does.

Ill break this up a bit Smile

Quartermass Wrote:If I connect XBMC to my TV by HDMI, and my TV to my Soundbar by Opitcal

This will give you DTS 5.1 from XBMC and ANY device that is connected to your TV such as your 360... but it will not give you HD Audio formats as opticle can not pass "Master Audio" or "TrueHD". Currently XBMC does not support HD Audio either so thats no big deal.
There is an unofficial build but neither eden or Dharma offically support "Master audio" or "TrueHD"as of yet. They only support DTS/AC3/PCM etc.

Quartermass Wrote:and my Bluray player to my Soundbar by HDMI

Yes. By doing it this way you will also be able to send Master Audio and TrueHD to your soundbar directly from your BluRay discs. Therefore this gives you the best of both worlds. All currently supported HD Formats directly from your BluRay player, All currently supported formats from your XBOX 360 and all currently supported formats from XBMC.

Its not always in everyones best interst to follow somone elses preference of what is best.. Going directly to the AVR is not always best for everyone. and as the audio difference is 0% between DTS via opticle and DTS via HDMI and your loosing no picture quality but infact are GAINING HD Audio from your BluRay player ... then yes. This would be the path i would go down.

But again, it depends on how often you use your BluRay player, how practicle a solution it is for you and how comfortable you are with it... Personally id rather have the ability to ply HD Formats than not if there was no cost/loss to me Smile

Quartermass Wrote:I don't have an Xbox, however the PC that runs XBMC is also my gaming PC so it could send DTS in the same way that XBMC does.
Exactly.. as long as the game/movie/video/music or whater you decide to play supports DTS/Dolby (non HD formats).

Hope thats useful,
Pat~

P.s
Lookng at your soundbar, i dont think it fully supports HD Formats either (it supports the same formats as XBMC)... So as your sound bar has only 1 HDMI input... I would actually for go plugging the BluRay player directly into the sound bar at all... and would actually plug it directly into the TV along with the rest (if you have enough HDMI inputs on the back of your Tv).

This way all your devices are connected via 1 opticle to the soundbar Smile Happy Days! You are loosing nothing by doing that and its all then very easy to switch between sources via the tv remote... No messing about!

HDMI 1 - HPTC
HDMI 2 - BluRay
HDMI 3 - Whatever you want Sky/Cable/Xbox/PS3

so when you select each source on the TV the audio will switch automatically too. Then when watching TV the audio will come from Digital/Over the air TV ... come down the opticle cable and into your speakers. Perfect!
Pat, that's very useful. Thanks. I think that's me sorted, other than never having seen an optical cable before, so having no idea what to buy... something like this?
Pages: 1 2