Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artwork Downloader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No worries meridius,

I use ViMM (ViMediaManager) in OS X, find it here. I have been following its development curve and it has really been getting quite impressive with lots of support on the forum and ongoing development. All the requests I have asked for they have implemented them in almost no time! Some users asked for TV Guide; the ViMM developer came up with a TV Guide on the current version, and so on. That gives me a good feeling about it so I can stay with one software for that matter.

With it, I can rename all the files within the movie folder any way I want and fulfil any criteria such as disc.png or <movie>-discart.png in a whizz, so no duplicities will occur when Artwork Downloader happens to be doing its work, if needed. It also download all metadata and extra fanart you want, and you can choose every single one of them.

Best,

CF
(2013-08-16, 03:12)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]It appears that art work is being downloaded. All the videos that I added to the source on my last library update now have artwork. All the downloading is occurring in the background however. No progress window is being displayed. The download in the background option is disabled, I checked it again to make sure and even shutdown and re-launched xbmc just to be sure that the configuration was set. Since I'm getting my art this isn't really a major concern, but the improper behavior still bothers me.

Edit- after working with this for a bit (twisting knobs and pushing buttons Big Grin) I realize that maybe the problem is me. I have been initiating the download with the "Get Artwork" button in the quick nav window. If I actually navigate to the addon and launch it the behavior is just what it should be. Downloading in the fore ground with a progress bar. Perhaps the quick nav button is actually launching a different addon? Looks like everything is working as it should though. Thanks to everyone for your help. Does the downloader get artwork for every movie in my library every time it is launched?

FYI, AD won't download anything unless you enable "Use local files", when it will write the associated artwork into your filesystem. However, AD only supports movies in individual folders, so don't try this if you are using movie-name prefixes and storing multiple movies per folder.

With "Use local files" disabled, movies/tvshows in your media library will be associated with remote artwork (ie. urls hosted on fanart.tv will be assigned to your movies,/tvshows) but these artwork items will not be cached (downloaded) by AD - you'll need to view the artwork items individually in the GUI before they are downloaded (or pre-load them automatically using a script).

This is true when running AD in any mode.
(2013-08-16, 04:42)MeMeMe Wrote: [ -> ]Artwork Downloader can be launched in several ways, if a skin creator has enabled them. You were launchign AD by one of the other methods, that does it in the background.
AD by default does look for artwork for every movie each time you launch it, but doesn't redownload art it already has. There is a way to get art just for the currnetly selected movie, but the skin needs to have support for it. Not all do.

Thanks again for the help.
any devs looking into this ?
You keep asking about "devs" but i believe there is only a single developer for this add-on at this time and he has at times been a bit confrontational about users bugging him. You will probably need to provide detailed logs along with an explanation of the problem and then maybe a PM to him to see if he is interested in fixing it. He might not even agree that it is broken.
Hey,

I found out tha there is a problem between Artwork Downloader and MediaElch.

MediaElch names season thumbs from fanart.tv season01-landscape.jpg and saves them in the shows folder. AD won't scrape them because of the 01. If i rename the file season1-landscape.jpg it works fine. I think its also kinda weird that AD won't search fanart.tv for the thumbs if it (because of "wrong" naming) can't find the local images.

Unfortunatly it is not possible to teach MediaElch to only use one digit for the number. And I think its much better with two digits anyway.

So is this an error/bug in Artwork Downloader?
seasonXX is a valid prefix in XBMC, so if what you say is correct then it would sound like AD is in error here, not MediaElch.
There's a difference between Eden and Frodo.
Eden used seasonX as skin hack. Frodo uses seasonXX as default because of the changes made in XBMC.

Frodo should use XX and i see that i missed that one
https://github.com/XBMC-Addons/script.ar...st.py#L144
should be like:
https://github.com/XBMC-Addons/script.ar...st.py#L102

Fix:
https://github.com/XBMC-Addons/script.ar...09ff8f26a1
about the difference between XBMC and AD in file naming.
AD followed the naming conventions XBMC had in Eden. Since then a lot changed and since i never use export or use local files this never was changed.

So there are two options:
1. Rename current files to new XBMC naming convention and update database.
2. Add option to choose how files are named.

Since i hate such options 2 is out of the question.
How do I implement the changes you made on github? Or do I have to wait til I can update the whole addon via xbmc?
I've got a few videos that AD isn't finding all the artwork for. I can see it on fanart.tv. Is there some way to manually point AD to the artwork? Or would it be easier just to download it and put it in the video folder? If so how should I name it? I know poster.jpg and fanart.jpg not sure about clear art, cd art etc.
(2013-08-20, 21:51)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a few videos that AD isn't finding all the artwork for. I can see it on fanart.tv. Is there some way to manually point AD to the artwork? Or would it be easier just to download it and put it in the video folder? If so how should I name it? I know poster.jpg and fanart.jpg not sure about clear art, cd art etc.

Good evening wgstarks,

If you choose to download and put them in the video folder yourself (as you mentioned) without using Artwork Downloader, the files should be named as follows:
clearart.png
clearlogo.png
disc.png
logo.png
banner.jpg
poster.jpg or <movie>-poster.jpg
fanart.jpg or <movie>-fanart.jpg

OBS: If it is a Multi Part (Stacked) Video Files, XBMC Wiki says you can either use the filename of the first file in the stack or the name of the stack to get the poster to show up: <movie>.jpg or <movie>-CD1.jpg, however the only naming pattern that has worked for me so far is only <movie>-poster.jpg.

Useful links for you regarding naming conventions in Frodo:
1.8 How should local images be named for Frodo?: (general FAQ) XBMC v12 (Frodo) FAQ - XBMC

Best,

CF

PS: <movie> is the name of each movie in particular.
@ capfuturo-Thanks for the naming. I saw the wiki article but it only shows poster and fanart. Wasn't sure about the rest. Just what I needed.
(2013-08-20, 22:28)capfuturo Wrote: [ -> ]PS: <movie> is the name of each movie in particular.

FYI <movie> prefix is not currently supported by AD.
(2013-08-21, 04:43)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-20, 22:28)capfuturo Wrote: [ -> ]PS: <movie> is the name of each movie in particular.

FYI <movie> prefix is not currently supported by AD.

MilhouseVH,

Why are you quoting me to give your input? My post and your statement are not connected. I have answered the OP's question which is what is the naming convention that will work with XBMC if artwork is manually placed in the folder. You are stating a particular naming convention that won't work with AD; totally unrelated.

Do not quote any excerpts of my posts to make your contribution if you are not going to set yours within context; it misleads the nature and purpose of my input, and potentially confuses the readers.

CF