Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Newbie questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all

sorry i am new to all this. just had all this stuff put on mi xbox.

1. i have burnt some general avi's on to a dvd-r. when i put the disk in to my drive and go in to the video section of media centre. the files do not show upHuh i am sure its pretty obvious but how do i get them to show up
? i can see them all in my pc drive and play them.

2. i have now got the newlatest verion of xbmc. how do i install it? do i simply copy it over using winftp or is there a proper way?

thanks in advance and sorry for the bozo questions.

tom
this has to do with the way xbmc reads files.

if the fs on the cd is not just right it will append chars to the end of the filenames.. for example in my system i use cd's burned for "mac and pc" in toast.

in my xbmc burned files have an "a" appended to the end...
(xxxx.avi ~~> xxxx.avia)

now.. on to how to fix this:

you need to alter the file named xboxmediacenter.xml in a text editor.

there is a section in there marked <videoformats> followed by a similar section marked for music formats

it's large, so i suggest you simply open it and type "ctrl+f" and enter a media format like ".avi" to quickly get to the line which dictates these formats. you'll have to add all the formats in that list again, except add an "a" to the end of each extension.

also, just to make sure it's not appending something else, go into "my files" and access the disk from there.. see if it's appending something else.
if it reads the filenames wrong, then it's a bug.

the only way to fix these types of errors is if they're reproducible.

for this we need the actual disks.

please think about sending the team some disks that this shows up on so that we can fix the issue.
thanks for the replys so far.

does this info help any?

on my xbox i also seem to have another player called.

media player. if i use this instead and pick videos i still dont see them but if i pick the dvd-iso9660 option then the files show up. btw this seems to happen with any video files i use.

so i can play them as long as i use media player. but i would prefere to use media center as its a great product.

does this help any?

tom