Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: build-dep xbmc fails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi on a new ubuntu 10.10 install i can no longer get the dependencies to build from git i have the unstable ppa added but someone edited the build-dep xbmc script or something to need libcec-dev and it get a error saying script failed because it cant locate that package.
bump
Hack_kid Wrote:hi on a new ubuntu 10.10 install i can no longer get the dependencies to build from git i have the unstable ppa added but someone edited the build-dep xbmc script or something to need libcec-dev and it get a error saying script failed because it cant locate that package.

Have you added all the packages?(step 3.1 in the README.ubuntu)
You need to add the pulse-eight repo for libcec to build pre-eden xbmc since approxmately 11/15

https://launchpad.net/~pulse-eight/+archive/libcec

I would give the commands but i presume that if you need this you know how to add repos abd do not want dharma users to just blindly start adding this if they have no idea wtf its for

(hint: it has to do with the hdmi-cec adapter mentioned on front page of site a few weeks back Tongue)

RANT MODE ON AND THIS IS NOT AIMED ONLY AT THE OP IN THIS THREAD....

It takes about 3 secs to google libcec and find out what it is and how to get it... kinda surprised it was posted here...

But i am also gonna go out on a limb and say that you are prolly should NOT be building xbmc from source using bleeding edge repo's if you cannot read and understand a build depends and come up with the right question...

That question is not OMG MY UNSTABLE REPO WAS STUCK SINCE 11/15 AND IT WONT BUILD FROM SOURCE EITHER WTF DO I DO..

The question asked by those that should be building from source was.. Hrrm why did they add lib-cec as a dependancy.. OH I GET IT LEMME ADD THAT...

They call it unstable for a reason..

If you want to run an "it just works" xbmc you want XBMC LIVE install image of Dharma 10.1..

Do not install any addons that are not from the default repository installed with dharma... and really really really DO NOT EVEN LOOK FOR ANOTHER SKIN besides the ones in that repo.. .

END RANT
gorgeth Wrote:You need to add the pulse-eight repo for libcec to build pre-eden xbmc since approxmately 11/15

https://launchpad.net/~pulse-eight/+archive/libcec

I would give the commands but i presume that if you need this you know how to add repos abd do not want dharma users to just blindly start adding this if they have no idea wtf its for

(hint: it has to do with the hdmi-cec adapter mentioned on front page of site a few weeks back Tongue)

RANT MODE ON AND THIS IS NOT AIMED ONLY AT THE OP IN THIS THREAD....

It takes about 3 secs to google libcec and find out what it is and how to get it... kinda surprised it was posted here...

But i am also gonna go out on a limb and say that you are prolly should NOT be building xbmc from source using bleeding edge repo's if you cannot read and understand a build depends and come up with the right question...

That question is not OMG MY UNSTABLE REPO WAS STUCK SINCE 11/15 AND IT WONT BUILD FROM SOURCE EITHER WTF DO I DO..

The question asked by those that should be building from source was.. Hrrm why did they add lib-cec as a dependancy.. OH I GET IT LEMME ADD THAT...

They call it unstable for a reason..

If you want to run an "it just works" xbmc you want XBMC LIVE install image of Dharma 10.1..

Do not install any addons that are not from the default repository installed with dharma... and really really really DO NOT EVEN LOOK FOR ANOTHER SKIN besides the ones in that repo.. .

END RANT

not ranting but Smile

i'm not a n00b i was on my cellphone when i posted that, i was at a friends house trying to setup xbmc for him (he had ati so i needed to compile from git) and i have a shell script that usually does everything for me and it was failing at build-dep xbmc. i actually did figure it out that i needed to add the ppa for libcec. (i thought that right away too) and i know what libcec is. (anynet+ whatever you want to call it heh). I contibute to Pull requests on git altough i'm no coder.

again i'm not ranting just explaining why i'm not a noob.

anyways thanks for replying Smile
@gorgeth:
please come down a little.

A good ppa provides all build dependencies, cause of the way packages are built (pbuilder and stuff) ....

So the real solution is to add this dependency to the ppa or leave it out.