Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to ff/rw this stream
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'm running a 2005-04-16 build of xbmc.  last changelog record is, "16-04-2005 fixed: audioscrobbler status was only updated when restarting after settings change".

i have 2 different avi files:
1) a 2.6gb ffmpeg-generated xvid .avi with ac3 audio.
2) a 2.1gb virtualdub/xvid codec-generated xvid .avi with ac3 audio.

the first one works fine, and i can ff/rw it using the triggers.  the second one generates a message, "unable to ff/rw this stream".

i'm not sure why this stream can't be ff/rw, but the first one can.  i thought it was a 2gb issue, but the first stream is bigger than 2gb and works flawlessly.  or perhaps that's a fluke.

i'm going to try setting different xvid compressor options, but is there any option that i should set or not set that might be preventing xbmc from being able to ff/rw the stream?

thanks!
bb.
i think that has to do with the .avi file format and size limitation.

just open the avi in vdub/nandub and split it into parts less than 1gb, number them logically and use the stacking option in xbmc. to do this you dont have to re-encode anything, vdub will just split it out.
i split the 2nd file into 2 sections with vdub.  that allowed me to ff/rw it.  i'm going to remaster the file one more time and make is slightly less than 2gb just to ensure that the splitting process didn't mask another problem.

now, i'm still wondering why the 1st file works?  it's > 2gb and i can ff/rw it ok.  i'm not sure how ffmpeg masters a .avi file, but whatever it did, it allows xbmc to ff/rw it just fine.  i don't think ffmpeg creates an opendml-avi file, and my 2nd file created with vdub was forced to be the old-style .avi format (it's an option in vdub).

hmmm, almost makes me wonder if opendml files now work if > 2gb and older avi files don't.  i'm still trying to see what else i can find out.  is there any easy way to determine if a .avi files is old-skool or opendml format?

update!

ah-ha! i forgot, that despite the fact i used ffmpeg to create my working > 2gb .avi file, i ran the file through vdubmod to add the ac3 audio stream. when i created the final .avi file, it was created in opendml format by vdubmod (but not by ffmpeg). normally in vdubmod, i select the option to keep the .avi file in the older format.

this means it seems xbmc can handle > 2gb opendml .avi files (for ff/rw operations), but not old-skool .avi files. the latter i believe is an actual limitation of the old .avi format, not xbmc.

i thought i read that xbmc didn't support opendml .avi files, but perhaps that is old news as it does seem to work very well nowadays. :p

i'll try my 2nd video one-more-time in opendml format (using the xvid codec) to see if that continues to work.

bb.