Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Moving userdata folder to support OS profiles [Windows]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ultimately I simply want all the Windows 7 users on the box to share the same profile, settings and setup. XBMC is awesome and a great set up, but to have to it up for each user can be a bit much especially when dealing with a computer -skill challenged wife. Plus at just over 45MB if possible I would like to avoid repeating the userdata folder 4 times. For security I really have a communal login profile as a last resort.

I would imagine the simplest way to do this is moving the userdata folder from within the users’ appdata folder to be with the actual program files. Change the folders perms to read for everyone and full control to me. Maybe I am mistaken. Is this possible? Is there a better way?

Any insight is much appreciated. And thank you in advance.

albert
ar3inc Wrote:Ultimately I simply want all the Windows 7 users on the box to share the same profile, settings and setup. XBMC is awesome and a great set up, but to have to it up for each user can be a bit much especially when dealing with a computer -skill challenged wife. Plus at just over 45MB if possible I would like to avoid repeating the userdata folder 4 times. For security I really have a communal login profile as a last resort.

I would imagine the simplest way to do this is moving the userdata folder from within the users’ appdata folder to be with the actual program files. Change the folders perms to read for everyone and full control to me. Maybe I am mistaken. Is this possible? Is there a better way?

Any insight is much appreciated. And thank you in advance.

albert

Run it as portable. That way the userdata folder will be stored inside the install folder.
ah... I follow, some what.

Is the fix as simple as editing the shortcut for all profiles with -p at the end? Or do I have to copy the userdata folder somewhere to "import" the current setup under my profile?
ar3inc Wrote:ah... I follow, some what.

Is the fix as simple as editing the shortcut for all profiles with -p at the end?
it is indeed that simple Smile Just in stall it in a place where every one can reach it like say 'D:\XBMC' and edit the shortcut for each user.
Quote:Or do I have to copy the userdata folder somewhere to "import" the current setup under my profile?

For example i have xbmc installed in
Code:
D:\XBMC Eden\
Just create a folder within called: 'portable_data'
Then copy all folders within the 'roaming/xbmc' folder to that folder
Code:
D:\XBMC Eden\portable_data
This way you have all your current settings/database/thumbnails
Genius!! Thank you.

Just as a for other you also may need to modify xbmc's compatibility to run as administrator.