Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Yet another first build!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
so I've done some research and am finally dropping money on my htpc...

Just wanted to know how this spec checks out with eskro/bluray/poofy

so I went ahead and have bought a Silverstone ML03

Otherwise:
intel i5-2500k £160

Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 rev 1.3 LGA1155 Micro ATX Motherboard £127
(want to get for future expansion with pci3 and ivy)

Cheap 4gb ram stick from somewhere

Antec TruePower New Modular 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £60
(Though reading up [bit-tech] apparently the ML03 is notorious for being bad with the length of some PSU? would this one work?)

will also get a BlackGold 3600 at some point too..£139
For s2 so freesat HD Smile

I also know to go for a ATI card to skip this macroblocking was looking at a 6750 or something but have decided that not much of my content is 24p so will stick with hd2000 until 7series releases next year (Q2?)

I have a slim laptop blu ray drive and a 7200rpm notebook drive I wanna reuse - I will upgrade to SSD later and I have a server(hp micro) so storage not an issue...

I'll also want to use my 360 remote, I've got it working on my current setup but needless to say I'll need a IR receiver and I have no idea which will work...

Got a pro copy of W7 (I'm student) so that's no issue either...

Ideally I wanna have an all in one box I don't mind stepping games down a bit though obviously for the form factor! The reason for the Z68 etc is I wanna play with overclock etc too tho...

I have a feeling it's a vote to AMD A8 from what i'm seeing now though...

should this workout?
Cheers Big Grin
Power Supply: keep 5.5" Depth and lower... not 5.9"
Wow that was quick!

hmm that is very limiting if my conversions cm to inches is correct... Sad
well thats how it is in PC building,,,
a PSU too deep will interfere with Optical Drive...
Look for a SIlverStone Strider PSU, their built to fit exactly in your case!
BTW, modular plugs might cause issues too. They tend to allow even less room (the plug protrudes from the PSU).

I'd stick with the recommended PSUs in the stickies.
You sir are a genius Smile
Strange how that didn't show up at all in any of my previous searches!

I know it's still early days but for you to recommend the A8 you must have some faith in it - have AMD finally got it right? I though they were dropping the FM1 for the FM2 next year? so is it a wise choice for long run? Would it fit a build like mine?
listen, When FM2 will be out, you hear about FM3 and so on,,,
things will always evolve...
if you always wait, you'll never buy anything,,

Now, go for A8 or i5 depends on what u wanna do with your Rig...
if your not into serious gaming, but need POwerful CPU to handle many tasks,
then, A8 will suit your need!
FM1 socket looks like the LGA1156... short-lived and not too many CPU. FM2 socket might go a longer route, like the 1155. Nevertheless, they are good choice.
problaze Wrote:I have a feeling it's a vote to AMD A8 from what i'm seeing now though...
HD6550D in A8-3850 will trump hd2000 in i5. if you want to enjoy BD in 3d with DTS-HD and TrueHD with an all-in-one solution today, i'm highly recommending the A8-3850 below:

1. Case and PSU- SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum MILO Series ML03B and Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
2. MOBO- ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75
3. APU- AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz
4. HD- Patriot SSD 32GB
5. RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
6. BD-ROM-LG Black 12X BD-ROM
7. MCE remote to control and turn on from cold start/off HTPC-ASRock Smart Remote Controller
8. Cas Fan- GELID Solutions FN-SX08-16 80mm Silent Case Fan

New technology will continue to evolve. Why wait when you can enjoy it today!
those APU would really benefit from 1600Mhz Dual-Channel RAM, so, i'd go with that!
$24.99 after mail-in rebate card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820145339

and those Antec Earthwatts aren't made by Seasonic anymore,
their Ok, less deeper then average, which is good when inside a SilverStone case but,
a $49 Seasonic 350W would be perfect too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151077
Good Day,
Will the above build be ok for the following..

I am changing to all internet tv with xbmc. Can I add HDHomerun without a problem? Any other suggestions for a tv card/tuner?

I will have all my movies and avi on a NAS. Will there be any lag while watching them? I have a 92"screen and projector.

Is there any benefit in getting a 64 ssd instead of a 32ssd?

Will windows 7 home work for me too?

Thanks for your and I hope it is ok to add onto this post instead of starting another.
You'll need a backend for the PVR stuff, Win7 has MediaPortal. You can currently use the HD Homerun with XBMC, but not like you would get with a proper backend.

The HD Homerun don't work with encrypted content. Even the Prime and the Ceton capture device won't work fully with backends. They appear only to work so you would expect with WMC.
eskro Wrote:and those Antec Earthwatts aren't made by Seasonic anymore,
their Ok, less deeper then average, which is good when inside a SilverStone case but,
a $49 Seasonic 350W would be perfect too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151077
i don't think that you can go wrong with "Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W", and the perfect 5 eggs from 302 users in newegg agreed with me.

how often you can find 302 users agreed on anything?
Get the smallest PSU you can for the ML03B. The size limit is 140mm. I can recommend this PSU having personally used it in this case without issue.
bluray Wrote:i don't think that you can go wrong with "Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W", and the perfect 5 eggs from 302 users in newegg agreed with me.

how often you can find 302 users agreed on anything?
WOW! I'm surprised someone didn't take off an egg for the green color! Or only having 380W!

I have no complaints about mine. Had a 95W processor, GT430, TV Tuner and 5 drives in mine at one point and it was working fine. I'm not sure if it's a Seasonic or not. It does work though...
Pages: 1 2