Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please help: Which Nvidia card for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I am just in the process of updating my old server/TV/HTPC
hardware and this time XBMC with VDPAU is a must have Nod

So, what is your opinion, which Nvidia Grafik card
is the best price/pervormance ratio for XBMC to be
able to replay all kinds of videos (and sometime als liveTV)
I don`t want a restriction on the deinterlacer, etc.

I am looking at the GT440, GT430 or GT240.

Please help, since I am not sure, what to choose.

Thanks for your opinions.

Guenter
Yop,

I had a GT210 previously, and videos at 24p stuttered a lot.
Currently i have a GT520 and everything is perfect (i use a yamaha 667 as a receiver)

Bibi
A GT430 should be able to handle everything, and you can get passively cooled cards for not much money eliminating fan noise from the card. I found the same thing as bibi, the 210 that I have is a good card, but I do get stuttering at 24p with high bitrate 1080p files.

The 430 should be able to bitstream lossless audio as well.
Hi All,

thanks for your answers.
What about the GT520?

Seems to use much less power, than the 430.

What do you think?

Thanks and best regards,

Guenter
GT220 has played everything I've thrown at it. Even a 38Mb/s rip of Transformers.
The 430 has higher memory bandwidth, 128 vs 64 bit memory interface, more CUDA cores, and can have a faster memory clock. The stock 520 has a faster core and shader clocks. For HTPC use, either is probably fine. Go with what suits your budget better and, in my case, the silent i.e. fanless version.

My 1GB GT210 stutters quite often on 24 fps material if I have XBMC output at 24p. This is on a ~3GHz P4 with 2GB of memory. I've also set everything up according to JumJum's fantastic howto.

Quote: Even a 38MB/s
I'm assuming you mean a 38Mb/s rip?
GT430 support VDPAU feature set C
GT520 support VDPAU feature set D
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...chips.html

but I don't know what's the difference between set C and D.
In the GT520 the lack of shaders limits its post processing capabilities, so for example the deinterlacing performance of the GT520 are worst than the GT430. If I had to choose for me, I'd take a fanless GT430.
Quote:The fifth generation of PureVideo HD, introduced with the Geforce GT 520, has significantly improved performance when decoding H.264 (and, from an already much higher level, other codecs),[8] it is also capable of decoding 4K x 2K videos.[9]
The fifth generation PureVideo HD is sometimes called "PureVideo HD 5" or VP5, although this is not an official Nvidia designation. This generation of PureVideo HD corresponds to Nvidia VDPAU Feature set D which due to limitations in all current VDPAU drivers does not support decoding higher resolutions than 2048x2048.[10]

Feature Set D.
I recently chose a 430 to replace my 210. It works well and handles everything I throw at it effortlessly. And it was cheap, so in a year or two, or probably longer than that, if some new higher-res formats start becoming available I won't mind swapping it out with something else. It's not like you're going to be married to this card.
KeithLM Wrote:I recently chose a 430 to replace my 210. It works well and handles everything I throw at it effortlessly. And it was cheap, so in a year or two, or probably longer than that, if some new higher-res formats start becoming available I won't mind swapping it out with something else. It's not like you're going to be married to this card.
Did you notice and difference in performance? As I said earlier, I have a 210, and it stutters occasionally on 1080p 24fps content if I have XBMC match the refresh rate. I'd like to get over this, but I don't want to throw money at something when it's not going to make a difference.

Also, did you get a passive or active cooled card. One thing about the 210 that I have is that it's fanless.
Honestly I can't recall. I wanted to replace one of my cards at home so I could take the old card to work replace the crappy video card there. While I setup Ubuntu and XBMC with the old card I never got around to testing it much before the swap. And I think mine has a fan, but it's ok because my equipment is in the other room.

How does yours handle 1080p60? If it's matching the refresh rate then shouldn't it be doing less work with 1080p24 processing?
Not really sure. I don't have any 1080p 60fps content.
Hi All,

thank you for your answers.
I have chosen the GT 520, due to it`s lower Power consumption.
I will let you know, how it works, as soon as installed everything.

Best regards,

Guenter