Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Pulse Eight USB CEC Adaptor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

after what seems like an eternity away from xbmc (on original xbox), i've recently purchased an Acer Revo (R3700 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, Linpus) off ebuyer to stream my tv shows from my buffalo linkstation live.

seeing as we already have numerous laptops in the house, i didn't particularily need another pc, so i wiped Linpus off the Revo and installed the latest version of LIVE directly to the internal HDD. everything has gone swimmingly and works a treat....

however, as much as i like using the wireless keyboard for controlling everything, it does tend to get in the way a little and i'm constantly catching buttons by accident and pausing / stopping / ffwing etc.

i bought a MCE style remote, but knowing very little about Linux and how it works, can't get it to work.

which brings me to my question:

will the Pulse Eight USB CEC Adaptor work for me? i don't have loads of equipment attached to the Revo, it's just HDMI directly into my tv.
would i be able to use my tv or sky remote to control XBMC or will it only work if XBMC is run within windows / linux?

thanks in advance for any information or answers given.

Ste
sneekes Wrote:Hi guys,

after what seems like an eternity away from xbmc (on original xbox), i've recently purchased an Acer Revo (R3700 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, Linpus) off ebuyer to stream my tv shows from my buffalo linkstation live.

seeing as we already have numerous laptops in the house, i didn't particularily need another pc, so i wiped Linpus off the Revo and installed the latest version of LIVE directly to the internal HDD. everything has gone swimmingly and works a treat....

however, as much as i like using the wireless keyboard for controlling everything, it does tend to get in the way a little and i'm constantly catching buttons by accident and pausing / stopping / ffwing etc.

i bought a MCE style remote, but knowing very little about Linux and how it works, can't get it to work.

which brings me to my question:

will the Pulse Eight USB CEC Adaptor work for me? i don't have loads of equipment attached to the Revo, it's just HDMI directly into my tv.
would i be able to use my tv or sky remote to control XBMC or will it only work if XBMC is run within windows / linux?

thanks in advance for any information or answers given.

Ste

Firstly, you will need the nightly version of xbmc live, which includes eden-pre (dharma doesn't support the adapter)

What TV do you have, but for now, Sky remote won't work, you will still need to keep that remote as well as one other for your TV/XBMC
thanks for the reply.

seems like it will be a bit more miss than hit for me at the moment then.
i'd rather stick with my current (stable) xbmc set-up and live with the
slight inconvenience of the keyboard.

fyi, my tv is a Foehn & Hirsch 37" 1080p LCD (ebuyer brand).

out of curiosity, apart from powering the revo/xbmc up and down, what other
functions would it bring?

thanks.

Ste
I have the same setup as you and was struggling with remotes for a while as well until I purchased a flirc.tv device and used my Harmony 650 remote (works flawless). Now I have an unopened MCE remote that I will probably never use since I am happy with my current setup aside from the ability to power the Revo on, I do have it so I can wake it from sleep with the remote but that darn blinking light is annoying for me at night so I usually just power off completely. If you happen to have a Harmony remote check into the flirc.tv device.

http://flirc.tv/
Hi LH88,

did you have to tweak or configure xbmc's lirc capabilities to get the Flirc.tv adaptor to work?

i'd rather just have a more or less plug and play scenario rather than having to mess around with .conf files that i know very little about Smile

thanks again,

Ste
sneekes Wrote:Hi LH88,

did you have to tweak or configure xbmc's lirc capabilities to get the Flirc.tv adaptor to work?

i'd rather just have a more or less plug and play scenario rather than having to mess around with .conf files that i know very little about Smile

thanks again,

Ste

No I never touched lirc, I actually programed my remote on my windows xp machine using the GUI software you download from the website, then plugged the device in on my revo 3700 and it worked, it saves the configuration to the device so once it's programmed it can then be plugged into any computer and will work.
hmmm, sounds good.

are there any other retailers who sell the flirc adaptor?

could well be on my christmas wish list Smile
sneekes Wrote:hmmm, sounds good.

are there any other retailers who sell the flirc adaptor?

could well be on my christmas wish list Smile

Not that I'm aware of.
sneekes Wrote:thanks for the reply.

seems like it will be a bit more miss than hit for me at the moment then.
i'd rather stick with my current (stable) xbmc set-up and live with the
slight inconvenience of the keyboard.

fyi, my tv is a Foehn & Hirsch 37" 1080p LCD (ebuyer brand).

out of curiosity, apart from powering the revo/xbmc up and down, what other
functions would it bring?

thanks.

Ste

Well, it allows your TV remote to control XBMC, volume control to be centralised (i.e. changing volume on XBMC would alter your Receivers volume instead) etc
Hi malard,

thanks for the reply.

as mentioned, my installation of xbmc is running very smoothly and i'd rather leave it alone at the moment, rather than ruin it (which i would probably do with a nightly!!).

what are your thoughts on the "flirc" device that LH88 mentioned?

would you recommend one too?

tia!

Ste
sneekes Wrote:Hi malard,

thanks for the reply.

as mentioned, my installation of xbmc is running very smoothly and i'd rather leave it alone at the moment, rather than ruin it (which i would probably do with a nightly!!).

what are your thoughts on the "flirc" device that LH88 mentioned?

would you recommend one too?

tia!

Ste

I can't comment, because I don't own it, however I also run Pulse-Eight Wink
Smile

bit the bullet and bought a Flirc adaptor in the end.

took all of 5 minutes to set up with a £8 ebay MCE remote.

works great!

thanks for the help and advice, it's much appreciated Smile

Ste