Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Preferred settings for using mysql and multiple xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have set up a mysql db and have xbmc on two computers (win7) and one appleTV2.
And I'm not really sure what settings are the best.

* I mean should all clients update the db at startup or just one dedicated?
* And should all clients "run automated scans"?

In the beginning I had some problems with multiple entries and other odd stuff - turned out that something had made errounous updates to the nfo-files. I'm not sure what part of the system to blame for that though, maybe the xbmc export or db update (sound weird that the update would change the .nfo files...) It could also be some other tool for nfo-updates.

Anyway. That have been sorted but one thing remains, If I let the appleTV do the updates, I get some odd duplicates, could be that the ATV interprets some " ' " (single comma) as different character than windows does...

What I really would like is some tool that updates the db without xbmc, is there one?
I use Sickbeard and CouchPotato but as I understand it, they both update through xbmc only.
And neither does Ember MediaManager.
Is there some tool for this or can any of the mentioned tools do this?
I'm not aware of a tool that can update the XBMC library without XBMC running (and doing the update itself).

Personally - I update the mySQL database manually when I add material that I want in my library. I had some issues with automatically doing it on XBMC startup as the server took some time to 'wake up' and thing got inadvertently cleaned. I just have XBMC installed on my desktop, linked to the same library, and use the desktop to update. I never use the HTPCs to update. Personal choice only.
You could presumably use some app (Ember?) to update .nfo files. I think the next time XBMC does a library update it should spot the change to the directory and reread the .nfo file.

JR
Thanks.

I do feel I'm on the right track, then.
I have 3 machines setup similar.
Windows - Linux - ATV2

Linux (XBMCLive) does all the updates after being told by Sickbeard there is something new.
The others just connect to it and everything is current/updated live.

Scraping/Updating/Cleaning the same database 3 times would be pointless. Wink
Thanks, thats what I thought as well.
But I've had some oddities that made me doubt it all.
It must be something else that caused it.
rocketpants Wrote:Personally - I update the mySQL database manually when I add material that I want in my library. I had some issues with automatically doing it on XBMC startup as the server took some time to 'wake up' and thing got inadvertently cleaned.

I also have some problems letting xbmc handle the updates as well.
It works fine to let Sickbeard and Couchpotato do it, but sometimes I have stuff I want to add manually.
Do you have a tool or script for this? I can see a lot of issues adding new rows manually in mysql, forgetting some table or other...