Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recommend me something ... I've read to much and am confused now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spent last hour reading posts. I've read too many and overly confused myself. So please recommend me something. I have no problem piecing things together but am not a Linux person so would like minimal hassles.

I don't need dual boot or W7, just an appliance that works for the family and doesn't need me there!

Current Setup:
Acer Revo 1600 - XBMC Live
WHS 2011
Gigabit switches and network card.
1080p mkv playback is great.

Would like:
Switch out Acer Revo 1600 for faster unit
SFF (like the Acer or a Zotac)
SSD (recommend a simple/fast book SSD)
Openelec or XBMC Live.

Keep it simple so I can upgrade easily and not muck with it much, time is limited these days.

Thank you in advance.
ASUS 1012 w OpenELEC is very nice. What are your upgrade plans though? I figure, as long as it's playing 1080p and surround sound I'm good. I have a couple home built systems and one "appliance" (ASUS 1501) and the ASUS has been carefree since I set it up.
roark Wrote:Spent last hour reading posts. I've read too many and overly confused myself. So please recommend me something. I have no problem piecing things together but am not a Linux person so would like minimal hassles.

I don't need dual boot or W7, just an appliance that works for the family and doesn't need me there!

Current Setup:
Acer Revo 1600 - XBMC Live
WHS 2011
Gigabit switches and network card.
1080p mkv playback is great.

Would like:
Switch out Acer Revo 1600 for faster unit
SFF (like the Acer or a Zotac)
SSD (recommend a simple/fast book SSD)
Openelec or XBMC Live.

Keep it simple so I can upgrade easily and not muck with it much, time is limited these days.

Thank you in advance.

Im pretty much is the same boat as you.
Im going to replace my Revo 1600 with this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114896
Your Acer Revo running OpenELEC might work a bit better/faster than Live. Might want to try that too.