Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XMBC Constellation - using local files.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I've just downloaded the XMBC Constellation app from the appstore. I'd like to play movies i put locally on my iPad and also movies that are on a LAN disk. Is this possible? How do i do this?

Thanks.
You need a XBMC installation to play your files. Constellation is just an App to control an external XBMC (on any other device).
This means i can only use local files on a JB iPad?
Isn't there any way around? I'm on an iPad 2, which i just received, running IOS 5, which can't be JB, yet, or maybe even never will be Sad

Any suggestion please?
I wouldn't even mind buying another app from the appstore, if it might help.

Thanks.
toto2007 Wrote:This means i can only use local files on a JB iPad?

No. XBMC for iOS is a full version of XBMC. It can play videos locally, over a local network, or streamed over the internet.

Quote:Isn't there any way around? I'm on an iPad 2, which i just received, running IOS 5, which can't be JB, yet, or maybe even never will be

iOS 5 does have a jailbreak. It's currently a tethered jailbreak, but an untethered jailbreak will be released soon as it always has been in the past.

Quote:Any suggestion please?
I wouldn't even mind buying another app from the appstore, if it might help.

This forum is for help with XBMC for iOS. There are other websites for finding apps to play videos with other methods. Sorry.
Take a look at airvideo on appstore. It might suit your need until an untetheret jailbreak is availible.
Ned Scott Wrote:No. XBMC for iOS is a full version of XBMC. It can play videos locally, over a local network, or streamed over the internet.

Do you mean you can install XBMC on an iPad 2 without jailbreaking it first?
Ok, now i understand with non-JB iPad, i can't play movies over the air (LAN disk), isn't it?

Please help me understand, i still do have 2 questions:
1. can i JB my new iPad 2 with IOS5, even tethered, i don't care? I thought JB is only for the iPad 1?
BTW, i've already upgraded to 5.0.1, will it still work? Can i do it with redsnow (mac) or which other app (mac)?

2. Can i play local movies (on the iPad itself), on a non-JB iPad 2, using XBMC Constellation (or any other xbmc version from the appstore)?

Thanks a lot.
1) You can't play @#() with an unbroken iPad with XBMC. Because you flat out can't install XBMC. Look into AirVideo.
2) XBMC Constellation is not XBMC. It's a remote control. There are no versions of XBMC in the App Store. 0. Zip. None.

Basically what you downloaded is this:

And you're asking how to watch movies on it. It isn't going to happen.
Ok, now i understand.
So, i need to JB my iPad. So, i've looked all around on the net, i can't find a way for JB iPad 2 running IOS 5 (5.0.1), even tethered. If there is a way for JB, please let me know, so i'll be able to install XBMC.

Thanks for all your patience, and sorry to bother, i'm pretty new to all this Smile
There isnt, just A4 devices can be jailbroken on iOS5. The iPad2 is A5.