Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: BSOD 0X00000116 when trying to watch movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everytime i try to watch a movie in XBMC i get BSOD with the stop error 0X00000116. My drivers are up to date, i use version 11.11b ati drivers and i've tried older ones as well but nothing seems to work. It only happends when i'm watching a movie, not when i do other stuff like looking around in settings and so on.. It works just fine when i play games or watch movies in vlc. I have no idéa what may be causing this crash and everything i find on google is about driver problems and that i should use the latest wich i already do.

XBMC version:
10.01 Dharma

My computer specs are:
AMD Phenom II x¤ 920 2.80 Ghz
XFX Radeon HD6950 1gb
8gb Ram
Windows 7 x64
This is a video driver error. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx

If you're using the latest drivers maybe the video hardware is faulty.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:This is a video driver error. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx

If you're using the latest drivers maybe the video hardware is faulty.

JR

But it only happens with XBMC. Not when i play games like bf3 or mw3 or watching a 1080p movie in vlc.
It's still a video driver issue though. Try updating to the latest drive from the manufacturer, not via Windows update.
Isn't 11.11 the latest ATI driver?
Flawwoo Wrote:But it only happens with XBMC. Not when i play games like bf3 or mw3 or watching a 1080p movie in vlc.

It's a video driver bug. A STOP error (i.e. bluescreen) is always a problem in the kernel somewhere. Ordinary apps like XBMC can't cause STOP errors on their own. XBMC must be doing something that exposes the flawin the video driver.

JR
stoli Wrote:It's still a video driver issue though. Try updating to the latest drive from the manufacturer, not via Windows update.

I always update from the manufacturer with all my drivers.
jhsrennie Wrote:It's a video driver bug. A STOP error (i.e. bluescreen) is always a problem in the kernel somewhere. Ordinary apps like XBMC can't cause STOP errors on their own. XBMC must be doing something that exposes the flawin the video driver.

JR

Okay but is there some way to locate the error? I've bene looking around everywhere and testing different solutions but nothing seems to work for me.
Can you borrow a different video card and try using that?

JR
Glad I didn't update my driver from 11.9, quite a few people are leaving messages about the latest ATI updates no working right.
jhsrennie Wrote:Can you borrow a different video card and try using that?

JR

I don't think so but i'll look around and see if i can borrow from someone.
While using xbmc the bsod just happen to me, again. Both times it happen about an hour in while watching a movie. Also it was while i was watching a 3D movie so when it crashed, i couldnt read the error because i had to hurry up and switch my screen back to 2D from side-by-side and by that time it restarts. Im pretty sure it has to do with xmbc because i play games for hours at a time with no problems what so ever. And i mean hours! 6-8 hours every night for months now. Never once have i got the bsod and my card temps are well below average plus i have already updated my driver with the Nvidia control center. i have the 780. When it crashes it makes a horrible noise. EEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Its definitely the most annoying and dreaded sound ive ever heard and makes me think my pc is about to explode. I think tomorrow ill try to watch a regular movie so if it does it again, i can read the error.