Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video freezing: how to stress test GPU in XBMCbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

As the title says I'm getting video freezes. I'm trying to eliminate hardware as a problem with some stress testing. But I'm not having much luck with finding anything suitable to run in an XBMCbuntu environment (i.e. no gdm).

I've managed to get the following running:
  • glxgears (using "xinit glxgears"), but this puts no stress on the GPU as its quite old and runs in a default 300x300 window.
  • Lightsmark (using "xinit backend 1920x1080"). This put some good stress on the GPU but it's a benchmark not a stress test and stops running after 5 mins. I can't seem to find any documentation but the usage doesn't seem to show a continuous mode.
  • Unigine - Tropics. I've not been able to download this one yet. I haven't managed to pull off a usable URL for wget from any of the download sites, so I'll have to download tomorrow and copy onto the htpc.

After that I've run out of options or ideas. Has anyone got any advice on what else I could try? Oh, I have installed the Phoronix Test Suite but I can't get this to run without a gdm display (my Linux knowledge isn't that great). But again Phoronix is more benchmark than stress. Ideally if I could get a Linux equivolent of FurMark.

Thanks in advance,
~Dan

P.S. Hope this is an OK area to post this question, didn't think it was quite hardware as it is the XBMCbuntu which is adding the constraints.