Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ATI Radeon 3200 - no HDMI sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spent all day yesterday trying to get HDMI audio to my TV working, but still no luck.
Have read dozens of posts on this forum and did a lot of googling, but still no sound when playing music (.wav and mp3).
I am brandnew to xbmc and linux, but really want this to work!

Keep getting "Failed to initialize audiodevice"
Have tried all possible combinations in System -> System -> Audio output, including setting output+pasthrough device to plughw:0,3

System
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H with ATI Radeon 3200
- Disabled built-in analog audio in BIOS so only HDMI audio is available
- Fresh install of xbmx live 10.1
- Have not touched the ATI drivers

xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I did however manage to get menu sounds working by adding this to /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

This is driving me mad. Any ideas on how to solve ?
Menu sounds are working fine
Wav and mp3 freezes the system for a little while but do make some weird looping sound for ~7 seconds on tv.

See logfile where machine has just been rebooted and I am trying to play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

http://pastebin.com/eBUbKKpk
did you get this sorted? ive got the same problem and its driving me nuts.

Matt
Same problem here on xbmcbuntu Eden and ATI Radeon 3200 with direct HDMI connection to my LCD panel.

Not a BIOS problem as on my windows 7 partition system everything is OK.

Tried changing audio settings to output [HDMI] and audio output device & passthrough [HDMI ATI SB - hdmi - 0 (ALSA)]. Didn't work.

Solved in my case using the steps by lglenn at this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1033620 and then choosing on XBMC settings personalized audio devices and introducing "plughw:1,3" (card 1 device 3 is my HDMI ATI device)