Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NFS on Synology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Net...ystem_(NFS)

I'm using the synology guide at the end of the link above to setup NFS on my Synology ds2111j two bay server. Everything is fine, apart from having to login as root rather admin, until I putty into the synology. Once I've edited the file using Vi I cannot press escape and save the changes - nothing works.....

Any ideas experts?

On another note does anybody know whether Eden will support a MySQL database?

Thank you

Rob
Can't help with synology but eden supports MYSQL although i am having difficulties with recent builds
Have you looked at a tutorial on Vi? You don't just "hit escape" to save the changes.
to save and quit on vi you type
:wq!

Try that
SavellM Wrote:to save and quit on vi you type
:wq!

Try that

First you hit escape, then you type :wq!

And case matters... VI is annoyingly complicated but the Synology is VERY picky about the text and the spacing used in the config file so VI's persnickety nature actually pays off. I have done this on a Synology DS110j and it took a few tries to get it to read the file.

So, you type the command to get VI open and editing the file. You hit the "i" key to enter insert mode. You make your changes. You hit "esc" to exit insert mode and then you type ":wq!" and hit enter. That's it.
One more thing, NFS is extremely sensitive to file permissioning. In my set-up the Synology only hosts media files so I have set all my folders and files to 777 (R/W to all users) permissions.

To get the Synology to do that you need to select the root folder of each share and make a change to the permissions and then click the "apply to all files and sub folders" check box. Hit OK and let it do its thing. Then do it again and make sure that all permissions are checked off. The synology will not apply anything unless there is a change first... Maybe not a bug but very unintuitive...
That's great - edited Vi commands! Now I've logged onto Apple TV 2 to find out that there is no NFS option? I do have it with my other installaion, on an Acer 3600 Revo.

Thanks for all your help so far! Again, does anyone know whether Mysql will be supported in Eden?

Rob
install a nightly build on your atv2 for getting nfs support...
Works a treat - thank you.

Only problem is that my synology seems to take quite a while to come out of hibernation - I have to press play on a film around 3 times for it to play.

Do you other synology users turn hybernation off?

Thanks
We use Synologies as backup devices on the networks we support, and we always disable hibernation. Our experience of Synologies, and before that QNAPs, is that the effect on disk life is negligable. It increases power consumption a bit, but unless you have one of the big fire breathing models the power consumption is low anyway.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:We use Synologies as backup devices on the networks we support, and we always disable hibernation. Our experience of Synologies, and before that QNAPs, is that the effect on disk life is negligable. It increases power consumption a bit, but unless you have one of the big fire breathing models the power consumption is low anyway.

JR

Is that really right? Looking at the specs of my Synology, it lists the "Access" power consumption as being about twice the wattage as "HDD Hibernation". Is "Access" technically the same as "HDD not hibernating AND actively being used for reads/writes"? And would that be a different amount of power usage than "HDD not hibernating, but simply spinning idly, and NOT being actively used for read/writes"?

Remember too that this is all being multiplied by three or four if you've got that many disks going...
canadave Wrote:Is that really right? Looking at the specs of my Synology, it lists the "Access" power consumption as being about twice the wattage as "HDD Hibernation".

Yes it's really right. The "access" power consumption may be twice the "HDD hibernation", but it's twice a small number so it's still a small number.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Yes it's really right. The "access" power consumption may be twice the "HDD hibernation", but it's twice a small number so it's still a small number.

JR

Yes, I can understand that I guess. Although, it's not QUITE so small if multiplied over time, is it? I've never calculated the yearly running cost of one of these things, and I don't have a kill-o-watt device....

Anyway, still curious though whether "access" state is the same as "spinning idly but not actually doing anything" state (which of course is altogether different from "hibernation" in which nothing would be moving at all). Access would use slightly more power, wouldn't it, since the heads would be moving back and forth seeking?
In the UK 1 watt is about £1 per year (though electricity prices have just gone up!). I'd guess the Synology is about 50W with all disks powered up, so it will be costing UK residents about £50/year to run.

JR