Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC - Horrible Tearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was running on a 8600GT and thought it might be the cause of the tearing. Upgraded to GT520 and if anything it has gotten much worse.

System setup:
Ubuntu 11.10 running Unity2D
Q6600
Asus P5Q
8GB Ram
GT520
Sony Bravia 46 (2 yr old TV).

Any moving scene at all tears. I get obvious tear lines in 1 or 2 spots on the screen.

I've enabled VDPAU and VSYNC in all the places I can find.

I've disabled all the extra effects on the TV like motion flow.

Can someone point in a direction, what log files to look at for hints, test videos.

I'm really thinking this is an issue with the linux environment. I can watch the same videos on VLC in Windows without any issues. Perhaps the Unity2D environment is to blame? How can I verify all these settings like VDPAU are being enabled for sure? When I upgraded the video card I just popped it into the machine, didn't upgrade any drivers.

I can submit screen shots of whatever settings need to be seen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Over in the linux forum there is a sticky thread on the subject as well as several other threads dealing with nVidia and tearing.
Completely disable compiz if it's enabled.
I didn't look for the thread in the linux section yet.

In case this post turns up on google searches I'll share my solution. Getting gnome-classic back with compiz disabled.

Ubuntu 11.10 (and presumably the future releases):

- sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
- logout
- choose Gnome classic (No effects)

This leads me to agree, disable compiz, problem solved.