Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Problem with multiple SATA hard drives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

This is a problem to do with OpenElec rather than XBMC live but I couldn't see an openelec category on this forum and this is a much more active forum than openelecs own so I thought I would be more likely to receive a response here.

This is the hardware I am using:
Asus AT5IONT-I Motherboard
4GB RAM
2 x 3 TB harddrives
2 x 2 TB harddrives
1 x 1.5 TB harddrive

I am using one of these http://www.span.com/product_info.php?products_id=28468 to go from one of the 2 sata headers on the motherboard, into the esata host port on the card, with a sata - esata cable.

I then have the various hard drives cabled into the sata expansion card

However when I turn on the computer it hangs on the post screen, here is a photo of where it hangs

After about 45 seconds I see this screen.

Before it finally boots into XBMC, but once in XBMC I cant see the hard drives

Any help would be much appreciated and apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum
I can't provide specific help on this device, but I suspect that the issue is that it's taking a while for all the devices to come on-line and be detected correctly via the port multiplier. That's probably why it hangs on the bios screen for so long. And then there is probably a similar issue before the hard drives can be detected by the OS and mounted.

Try googling for that device and see if you can find other linux forums where people are discussing it. Also check out the ubuntu forums. There are ways in Ubuntu to delay when various services are started during the boot process.

I ran into an issue where either nmbd or smbd was starting before my network connection was fully initialized, and so occasionally after reboots the shared drives on the linux system weren't visible, and I'd have to restart the service. When I altered its start-up script I was able to delay it until the network was fully up, and now that issue no longer exists. A similar method might work for you to delay the mounting of these discs until later in the boot process thus saving you from these issues.